logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ContextData / StringMap, non-String values and Thread Context
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2016 16:23:49 GMT
By providing a StringMap interface that allows Object values we unlocked numerous custom extensions
that the previous Map<String, String> interface did not allow.

However the public API should probably stay restricted to String values, at least for now.
This is to prevent memory leaks in web applications: in web applications ThreadLocals should
only contain JDK classes.
We may be able to add a public ThreadContext::putValue(String, Object) method after https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1116
has been addressed.

Remko

Sent from my iPhone

> On 19 Oct 2016, at 0:46, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com> wrote:
>
> As part of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1447 we added support for non-String
values in log event's context data (with the org.apache.logging.log4j.util.StringMap interface).

> However, as far as I can see, we do not leverage the possibility to use non-String values
anywhere. Do we have any plans to do that? Such as a  putValue(String key, Object value) method
in org.apache.logging.log4j.ThreadContext?

> --
>

> Mikael Ståldal
> Senior software developer
>
> Magine TV
> mikael.staldal@magine.com
> Grev Turegatan 3  | 114 46 Stockholm, Sweden  |   www.magine.com
>
> Privileged and/or Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are
not the addressee indicated in this message
> (or responsible for delivery of the message to such a person), you may not copy or deliver
this message to anyone. In such case,