logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: OS-based dynamic configuration file
Date Sun, 11 Sep 2016 06:33:08 GMT
But Gary said he didn’t want the OS390 appender created unless he is running on OS390.

But your example makes me think we also need an AppenderRef Selector.

Ralph

> On Sep 10, 2016, at 5:28 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What you can also do (without Log4j enhancements) is create a plugin appender that takes
two Appender-Refs and delegates to the correct one for your application.

> In configuration this could look like this:
>
> <Appenders>
>   <FileAppender name="unix" ...
>   <FileAppender name="OS390" ...
>
>   <MyDelegatingAppender name="delegator">
>     <AppenderRef ref="unix" />
>     <AppenderRef ref="OS390" />
>   </MyDelegatingAppender>
>
>  Remko
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 2016/09/11, at 3:48, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:

>> Oops. I forgot the closing CDATA tag in the script.
>>
>> Ralph
>>
>>> On Sep 10, 2016, at 11:43 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:

>>> Interesting. OS/390.  I worked on MVS, OS/370, z/OS, etc many moons ago but haven’t
worked on a mainframe since 2001.

>>> This sort of sounds like you want an Appender Selector, which would be an Appender
that uses a Selector to figure out which Appender to delegate to. This is a bit like the PatternSelector.
I would imagine it would make sense to implement AppenderSelectors and LayoutSelectors.  You
probably would want to dynamically initialize the Appenders much like the RoutingAppender
does.

>>> Maybe it would look like:
>>>
>>> <Appenders>
>>>   <ScriptSelector name=“" default=“”>
>>>      <Script language=“groovy”><![CDATA[
>>>          if (System.getProperty”os.name”).contains(“OS/390”)) then {
>>>              return “Socket”;
>>>          } else {
>>>              return “File”;
>>>          }
>>>      </Script>
>>>      <Appenders>
>>>          <SocketAppender name=“Socket” …/>
>>>          <FileAppender name=“File” …/>
>>>      </Appenders>
>>>   </ScriptSelector>
>>> </Appenders>
>>>
>>> The thing is that this script would run every time the Selector was accessed
while it sounds like you would only want the script to run when the Selector is initialized.
We could do that too but the script would need to be declared in a property that would only
be used when the selector is initialized. I would want to support being able to do both.

>>> Ralph

<https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/configuration.html#Scripts> and I think
I could use either:

to only add the one(s) I want in the <Root> section?

OK I do not want to create it unless I know it can run OK.

Root section so that when I say <AppenderRef =...> we do not go look for an appender
that is not defined.

that seems lame. os="OS/390" and os="!OS/390" means also knowing about "not", yikes.

added (or is that only in master?).

OS (USS on OS/390 if you must know). Then only add a different appender when not running on
that OS.