logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: OS-based dynamic configuration file
Date Sat, 10 Sep 2016 18:43:38 GMT
Interesting. OS/390.  I worked on MVS, OS/370, z/OS, etc many moons ago but haven’t worked
on a mainframe since 2001.

This sort of sounds like you want an Appender Selector, which would be an Appender that uses
a Selector to figure out which Appender to delegate to. This is a bit like the PatternSelector.
I would imagine it would make sense to implement AppenderSelectors and LayoutSelectors.  You
probably would want to dynamically initialize the Appenders much like the RoutingAppender
does.

Maybe it would look like:

<Appenders>
  <ScriptSelector name=“" default=“”>
     <Script language=“groovy”><![CDATA[
         if (System.getProperty”os.name”).contains(“OS/390”)) then {
             return “Socket”;
         } else {
             return “File”;
         }
     </Script>
     <Appenders>
         <SocketAppender name=“Socket” …/>
         <FileAppender name=“File” …/>
     </Appenders>
  </ScriptSelector>
</Appenders>

The thing is that this script would run every time the Selector was accessed while it sounds
like you would only want the script to run when the Selector is initialized. We could do that
too but the script would need to be declared in a property that would only be used when the
selector is initialized. I would want to support being able to do both.

Ralph

> On Sep 10, 2016, at 11:04 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <Appenders>
>    <ScriptTest language="JavaScript">
>       <If>System.getProperty("os.name <http://os.name/>").contains("OS/390")</If>
>       <True>
>          <SocketAppender ...>
>      </True>
>      <False>
>          <FileAppender ...>
>      </False>
>    </ScriptTest>
> </Appenders>
>
> ?
>

> On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 10:40 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com <mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> OK, I found https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/configuration.html#Scripts <https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/configuration.html#Scripts>
and I think I could use either:

> - Use composite configurations: One file for OS/390, one for all other OSs; or
> - Do it all in one configuration file (that seems simpler)
>
> It seems like there are some pieces missing to do what I want conveniently.
>
> Should I define all appenders in <Appenders> and later use a script to only add
the one(s) I want in the <Root> section?

> Or, should the <Appenders> section itself be scripted to only add the appenders
I want?

> Since I expect the OS/390 appender will likely blow up running on a different OK I do
not want to create it unless I know it can run OK.

> I guess then I have a conditional section in both the Appenders and in the Root section
so that when I say <AppenderRef =...> we do not go look for an appender that is not
defined.

> Thoughts?
>
> A narrow solution would be to add an "os" attribute to all appenders but that seems lame.
os="OS/390" and os="!OS/390" means also knowing about "not", yikes.

> Gary
>
> On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 10:05 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com <mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't seem to find on our site the scripting support that was recently added (or is
that only in master?).

> What I need to do is only add a specific appender when running on a specific OS (USS
on OS/390 if you must know). Then only add a different appender when not running on that OS.