logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Migrating from Log4j 1
Date Sat, 13 Aug 2016 00:59:03 GMT
That’s the same thing SLF4J did - See http://slf4j.org/faq.html#excludingJCL <http://slf4j.org/faq.html#excludingJCL>.
 Unfortunately, Maven doesn’t directly support it so you have to use one of these hacks.

Ralph

> On Aug 12, 2016, at 5:35 PM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I found this, looks promising: https://stackoverflow.com/a/4717025 <https://stackoverflow.com/a/4717025>
>
> On 12 August 2016 at 19:15, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com <mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> In Maven, is there a global way to exclude a dependency? Perhaps we just need to show
people how to do this?

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 2016/08/13, at 8:54, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>> However, as to #3, it looks like we may need to extend this upgrade epic to non-Apache
projects if possible to try and fix up the dependencies.

>> Or wouldn't it be a neat feature for Maven to just transitively ban a dependency
and provide a replacement? Perhaps this is more of a build tool problem at this point.

>> On 12 August 2016 at 18:51, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>> It may sound somewhat smug, but OSGi doesn't really have the dependency hell problems
addressed there. It has other annoyances, but you can run multiple versions of the same library
in the same JVM without them even knowing about each other for instance. Plus, OSGi users
have a full logging service pack called pax-logging (I commit there sometimes) which pulls
together all the common logging APIs and redirects them to log4j 1.2, log4j 2.x, or logback,
along with some additional contextual data which I find pointless honestly.

>> On 12 August 2016 at 18:05, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com <mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>> Just read this thread:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-6305 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-6305>
>>
>> Concerns:
>> * User-supplied logging configurations would break
>> * Spark code to suppress some overly verbose logging in dependencies (which ignore
config?) -not sure about impact
>> * POM changes to exclude log4j 1.2 - Spark has many many dependencies which bring
it back in

>> Mikael, let me know if I missed something.
>>
>> We can do something about #1.
>> Not sure about #2 and #3.
>>
>> Remko
>>

>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 2016/08/13, at 7:38, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>>> Yeah, really, what's the alternative?
>>>
>>> And I do think that completing that Log4j1ConfigurationFactory would be a great
way to get people to migrate if they don't even need to update configs. Though I'd hate to
come across one of those configs in the wild because it's not nearly as well documented as
the 2.x style configs are.

>>> On 12 August 2016 at 15:45, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:
>>> Dropping Log4j 1 and doing what instead? Stop logging altogether?  Logback’s
configuration isn’t compatible either.

<mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>> wrote:

> [...]
migrating from Log4j 1. Especially around configration. Some seem to consider dropping Log4j
completely instead of going for Log4j 2.

from LOG4J2-1473. I could need some help.