logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Migrating from Log4j 1
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2016 16:00:57 GMT
Neither of those imply that the conversion has to be at runtime. My concern here is that any
conversion is unlikely to be 100% compatible, so providing a tool that creates a new configuration
that you can then use and modify seems like a better way to go. It is also pretty much what
Logback does so we would be on a somewhat equal footing in that regard.

Ralph

> On Aug 18, 2016, at 4:55 AM, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com> wrote:
>
> Look at the last comment here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-2342 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-2342>
> and here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-12956 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-12956>
>
> "backward-compatibility with the Log4J 1 properties file format would be hugely beneficial
for us."

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 9:40 AM, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>>
wrote:
> LOG4J2-63 reopened. I would need some help on it. Let't take discussions about that in
JIRA.

> On Aug 15, 2016 10:48 AM, "Mikael Ståldal" <mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>>
wrote:
> Any objections to reopening LOG4J2-63, and targeting it for 2.7?
>
> On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>>
wrote:
> Seems to be in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-63 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-63>
> It is currently marked as Won’t Fix. Should we reopen this issue?
>

> On Aug 13, 2016 1:04 PM, "Mikael Ståldal" <mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>>
wrote:
> Do we have a JIRA issue to track this?
>

> On Aug 12, 2016 7:06 PM, "Gary Gregory" <garydgregory@gmail.com <mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Please consider expanding what I started here org.apache.log4j.config.Log4j1ConfigurationFactory
>
> Gary
>
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>>
wrote:
> There seem to be quite some frustration in some other Apache projects about migrating
from Log4j 1. Especially around configration. Some seem to consider dropping Log4j completely
instead of going for Log4j 2.

> I have taken on Spark, Hadoop and Zookeeper; see links to their Jira issues from LOG4J2-1473.
I could need some help.

> --
> E-Mail: garydgregory@gmail.com <mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com> | ggregory@apache.org
 <mailto:ggregory@apache.org>
> Java Persistence with Hibernate, Second Edition <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
> Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com <http://garygregory.wordpress.com/>
> Home: http://garygregory.com/ <http://garygregory.com/>
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory <http://twitter.com/GaryGregory>
>

> --
>

> Mikael Ståldal
> Senior software developer
>
> Magine TV
> mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>
> Grev Turegatan 3  | 114 46 Stockholm, Sweden  |   www.magine.com  <http://www.magine.com/>
>
> Privileged and/or Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are
not the addressee indicated in this message
> (or responsible for delivery of the message to such a person), you may not copy or deliver
this message to anyone. In such case,