logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Log4J 1.x and JDK 9
Date Sat, 16 Jul 2016 07:17:29 GMT
Shall we start contacting Apache project that still use Log4j 1 with this new information and
offer them our assistance in migrating to Log4j 2 in order to get ready for Java 9?

Remko

Sent from my iPhone

> On 2016/07/15, at 2:36, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Where was the GitHub fork when it was EOL'd? Or when development effectively stopped
4 years ago?

> Maybe the hack provided in this thread will be enough for most folks.
>
> Gary
>

>>> On 14 July 2016 at 12:12, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> And get ready for a GitHub fork...
>>>
>>> Gary

that is better than Log4j 1.2 in pretty much every way.

Java 9.

to fix any outstanding "simple" (or complex) bugs.

ourselves to a series of Java 9 EA compatible releases as Java 9 with and without Jigsaw (these
are still separate builds IIRC) gets developed.

is... if we do want to do that now...

that implies, then I see no reason they would not also upgrade to Log4j 2...
would support users who did customizations to Log4j 1.2.

it from a Linux VM.  I think Gary might have built Log4j 1 in the past.

artifact "sun.jdk:tools:jar:1.4.2".

(javadoc.resources) on project log4j: Execution javadoc.resources of goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin:1.2:run
failed: Plugin org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin:1.2 or one of its dependencies
could not be resolved: Could not find artifact sun.jdk:tools:jar:1.4.2 at specified path /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_66.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/../Classes/classes.jar
-> [Help 1]

sure that Log4j 2 works well with Java 9, but otherwise I think this is an excellent opportunity
for users to upgrade to Log4j 2.

is not compatible with JDK 9:

community. So here's the notification. :-)

do you guys think of one more 1.x release? Usually I would never entertain the suggestion,
but this may be the one time the justification makes sense. For those who still use 1.x and
have no time to upgrade to 2.x, I can't think of a better way to support the user community
than fix this issue.

patch.