logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Log
Date Sun, 10 Jul 2016 23:35:53 GMT
That's the first blog post there in almost 2.5 years! How can we get more
entries in there?

On 10 July 2016 at 17:45, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:

> Blogged:
>
> https://blogs.apache.org/logging/entry/log4j_2_6_2_released
>
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 4:31 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The Apache Log4j 2 team is pleased to announce the Log4j 2.6.2 release!
>>
>> Apache Log4j is a well known framework for logging application behavior. Log4j 2
is an upgrade
>> to Log4j that provides significant improvements over its predecessor, Log4j 1.x,
and provides
>> many other modern features such as support for Markers, lambda expressions for lazy
logging,
>> property substitution using Lookups, multiple patterns on a PatternLayout and asynchronous
>> Loggers. Another notable Log4j 2 feature is the ability to be "garbage-free" (avoid
allocating
>> temporary objects) while logging. In addition, Log4j 2 will not lose events while
reconfiguring.

>> This is the twelfth GA release. It is primarily a bugfix release. More details on
the
>> fixes are itemized below.
>>
>> Note that subsequent to the 2.6 release a minor source incompatibility was found
due to the
>> addition of new methods to the Logger interface. If you have code that does:
>>
>> logger.error(null, “This is the log message”, throwable);
>>
>> or similar with any log level you will get a compiler error saying the reference
is ambiguous.
>> To correct this either do:
>>
>> logger.error(“This is the log message”, throwable);
>>
>> or
>>
>> logger.error((Marker) null, “This is the log message”, throwable);
>>
>> Log4j 2.6.2 maintains binary compatibility with previous releases.
>>
>> GA Release 2.6.2
>>
>> Changes in this version include:
>>
>> New features:
>> o LOG4J2-1395:  Add "direct" option to ConsoleAppender for increased performance.
>> o LOG4J2-1437:  (GC) ObjectMessage and ReusableObjectMessage now avoid calling toString()
on auto-boxed primitive parameters.
>> o LOG4J2-1415:  (GC) ParameterFormatter now avoids calling toString() on auto-boxed
primitive message parameters.
>> o LOG4J2-1412:  Unbox utility's ringbuffer of StringBuilders is now configurable.
>>
>> Fixed Bugs:
>> o LOG4J2-904:  If copy and delete fails in rename action then resort to truncating
the source file after copying it. Thanks to Bernhard Mähr.
>> o LOG4J2-1250:  CronTriggeringPolicy was not properly setting the prevFileTime value
for the PatternProcessor so
>>         file dates and times on rolled files were incorrect.
>> o LOG4J2-1452:  Fixed issue where reusable messages broke flow tracing logic. Thanks
to Mikael Ståldal.
>> o LOG4J2-1440:  Fix bug in OnStartupTriggeringPolicy that allowed it to roll over
on every reconfiguration. Added
>>         minSize attribute.
>> o LOG4J2-1414:  Fixed minor issues with the 2.6.1 web site. Thanks to Ralph Goers.
>> o LOG4J2-1434:  Ensure that the thread-local StringBuilders used by Layouts to format
log events to text will not
>>         retain excessive memory after a large message was logged. Thanks to Luke
Butters.
>> o LOG4J2-1418:  Provide MessageFactory2 to custom Logger implementations.
>> o LOG4J2-1420:  RollingRandomAccessFileManager was not properly rolling over on startup
and was getting a NullPointerException.
>> o LOG4J2-1417:  Fixed issue where Unbox utility ignored the value Constants.ENABLE_THREADLOCALS
and always stored non-JDK classes in ThreadLocals.
>> o LOG4J2-1422:  Fixed issue where AsyncAppenderQueueFullPolicyTest sometimes hangs.
>> o LOG4J2-1445:  OnStartupTriggeringPolicyTest fails on Windows saying the file is
used by another process. Thanks to Ludovic HOCHET.

>> Changes:
>> o LOG4J2-1432:  Update Jackson from 2.7.4 to 2.7.5.
>> o LOG4J2-1433:  Update Jansi from 1.11 to 1.13.
>> o LOG4J2-1444:  Update Apache Commons Compress from 1.11 to 1.12.
>>

>> Apache Log4j 2.6.2 requires a minimum of Java 7 to build and run. Log4j 2.3 was the
last release that
>> supported Java 6.
>>
>> Basic compatibility with Log4j 1.x is provided through the log4j-1.2-api component,
however it does not implement some of the

--
Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com>