logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Log4J 1.x and JDK 9
Date Sat, 16 Jul 2016 16:16:26 GMT
On Jul 16, 2016 12:17 AM, "Remko Popma" <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:

> Shall we start contacting Apache project that still use Log4j 1 with this
new information and offer them our assistance in migrating to Log4j 2 in
order to get ready for Java 9?

I like it!

Gary

> Remko
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 2016/07/15, at 2:36, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Where was the GitHub fork when it was EOL'd? Or when development
effectively stopped 4 years ago?

>> Maybe the hack provided in this thread will be enough for most folks.
>>
>> Gary

replacement that is better than Log4j 1.2 in pretty much every way.

people can start planning their migration

ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> [...]
fix any outstanding "simple" (or complex) bugs.

opening ourselves to a series of Java 9 EA compatible releases as Java 9
with and without Jigsaw (these are still separate builds IIRC) gets
developed.

as it
is... if we do want to do that now...

be a
good idea.
that implies, then I see no reason they would not also upgrade to Log4j 2...
we
would support users who did customizations to Log4j 1.2.

try it from a
Linux VM.  I think Gary might have built Log4j 1 in the past.

to have
artifact "sun.jdk:tools:jar:1.4.2".

when I build
from trunk:

org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin:1.2:run (javadoc.resources) on
project log4j: Execution javadoc.resources of goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin:1.2:run failed: Plugin
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin:1.2 or one of its dependencies
could not be resolved: Could not find artifact sun.jdk:tools:jar:1.4.2 at
specified path
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_66.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/../Classes/classes.jar
-> [Help 1]

make sure that Log4j
2 works well with Java 9, but otherwise I think this is an excellent
opportunity for users to upgrade to Log4j 2.

<
pbenedict@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
1.x is not compatible
with JDK 9:

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jigsaw-dev/2016-July/008654.html

community. So
here's the notification. :-)

do you guys think of
one more 1.x release? Usually I would never entertain the suggestion, but
this may be the one time the justification makes sense. For those who still
use 1.x and have no time to upgrade to 2.x, I can't think of a better way
to support the user community than fix this issue.

supposed patch.