logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Log4J 1.x and JDK 9
Date Sun, 17 Jul 2016 16:19:18 GMT
I deliberately did not want to suggest technical obstacles are the reason
for not doing another 1.2 release. I thought that would muddy the waters...

The main message I wanted to send out is
"Log4j 1.2 is End of Life. We have a successor that is much, much better
and it is called Log4j 2. We can help you with the migration to Log4j 2,
but we cannot help with any Log4j 1.2 issues."

I also could not help myself and sent out this tweet
<https://twitter.com/RemkoPopma/status/754707922970488832>.

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 1:09 AM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:

> You might want to point out that it doesn't even compile in Java 9, too,
> otherwise that thing about the MDC sounds like a "trivial" bug to fix. I'm
> sure there's more problems than just the version number due to modules
> (e.g., custom log4j 1 plugins would need to perform module hacks to make
> themselves visible).
>
> On 17 July 2016 at 10:37, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Blogged:
>>
>> https://blogs.apache.org/logging/entry/moving_on_to_log4j_2
>>
>> Let me know if you want to change anything.
>> Remko
>>

>> On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 3:05 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> +1
>>>
>>> Ralph
>>>
>>> On Jul 16, 2016, at 10:44 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>>> On 2016/07/17, at 3:30, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> That sounds like a great idea.

>>> If nobody objects I will write a small post on blogs.apache.org about
>>> this, and then start to contact individual Apache projects.
>>>
>>> Remko
>>>
>>> Gary

We have a

Java 9 so