logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Log4J 1.x and JDK 9
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2016 17:00:36 GMT
That was exactly what my “mixed emotions” were about.

Also, I think we are going to have a fair amount of work to really support Java 9.

Ralph

> On Jul 14, 2016, at 9:44 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Any Log4j 1 release is likely to open the floodgates of requests to fix any outstanding
"simple" (or complex) bugs.

> Keep in mind that Java 9 is not official yet, so we could be opening ourselves to a series
of Java 9 EA compatible releases as Java 9 with and without Jigsaw (these are still separate
builds IIRC) gets developed.

> Tracking Java 9 EAs with Log4j 2 is likely to be enough work as it is... if we do want
to do that now...

> Gary
>
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com <mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Strategically I don't see why doing another 1.2 release would be a good idea.
> If people can upgrade to Java 9 with all the regression testing that implies, then I
see no reason they would not also upgrade to Log4j 2...
> Naturally Log4j 2 needs to be in good shape for Java 9 and we would support users who
did customizations to Log4j 1.2.

> On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 1:02 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:
> That would rule out building on a Mac.  I’d have to try it from a Linux VM.  I think
Gary might have built Log4j 1 in the past.

> Ralph
>
>> On Jul 14, 2016, at 8:52 AM, Paul Benedict <pbenedict@apache.org <mailto:pbenedict@apache.org>>
wrote:

>> Matt, I guess you need JDK 1.4.2 on your machine to have artifact "sun.jdk:tools:jar:1.4.2".
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Paul
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>> How do you even build log4j 1.2? I get this error when I build from trunk:
>>
>> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin:1.2:run
(javadoc.resources) on project log4j: Execution javadoc.resources of goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin:1.2:run
failed: Plugin org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin:1.2 or one of its dependencies
could not be resolved: Could not find artifact sun.jdk:tools:jar:1.4.2 at specified path /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_66.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/../Classes/classes.jar
-> [Help 1]

>> On 14 July 2016 at 10:47, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com <mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>> Why would we want to do that? We need to make sure that Log4j 2 works well with Java
9, but otherwise I think this is an excellent opportunity for users to upgrade to Log4j 2.

>> Remko
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 11:56 PM, Paul Benedict <pbenedict@apache.org <mailto:pbenedict@apache.org>>
wrote:
>> According to this poster, it appears 1.x is not compatible with JDK 9:
>> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jigsaw-dev/2016-July/008654.html <http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jigsaw-dev/2016-July/008654.html>
>>
>> I told them I would notify our development community. So here's the notification.
:-)

>> Given how widely used 1.x is still, what do you guys think of one more 1.x release?
Usually I would never entertain the suggestion, but this may be the one time the justification
makes sense. For those who still use 1.x and have no time to upgrade to 2.x, I can't think
of a better way to support the user community than fix this issue.