logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: log4j2 evangelism
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2016 19:40:04 GMT

On 07/05/2016 02:04 PM, Matt Sicker wrote:
> Oh, I like this idea of a more useful homepage.
Great.  Most of the time all I hear is crickets :)
> However, I don't think we can track download statistics all that well as most people
download it straight from Maven Central.
There's some data here:
https://mvnrepository.com/search?q=log4j2
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.logging.log4j

Also the stats should be available per this:
http://blog.sonatype.com/2010/12/now-available-central-download-statistics-for-oss-projects/

Not sure if access is limited to contributors only ...

Cheers,
Ole

> On 5 July 2016 at 12:50, Ole Ersoy <ole.ersoy@gmail.com <mailto:ole.ersoy@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>     It may help if the performance chart for multiple threads were moved to the index
page, followed by simple code use and integration steps for other libraries.  The front page
could be less verbose and more informative / executive summary'ish.

>     When looking for packages on NPM the first thing I look at is downloads followed
by API use cases.

>     Here's a superagent example:
>     https://www.npmjs.com/package/superagent
>
>     For log4j2 replace the superagent ferret with the performance chart
>
>     Ferret: 50K downloads in the last day (Good)
>     Log4J2: ?
>
>     Ferret: Simple all encompassing API (Good)
>     Log4J2: ?
>
>     Ferret: installation (Very easy)
>     Log4J2: This is the biggest hangup for people
>
>     If it's easy to switch out SLF4J, etc. then that's a big plus.  Maybe just one example
(Play framework, Spring Boot), followed by links for other scenarios.

>     Ferret: Plugin support - excellent
>     Log4J2: ?
>
>     The current index page sort of has this stuff, but with superagent I get it all with
a quick glance.

>     Cheers,
>     Ole
>

>     On 07/04/2016 03:47 PM, Matt Sicker wrote:
>>     We have benchmarks pretty prominently displayed:
>>
>>     https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/performance.html
>>
>>     Also, SLF4J is comparable to log4j-api; both need a logging library to actually
work such as log4j-core, logback, log4j 1.x, or java.util.logging.

>>     Personally, I've found async logging to be a killer reason to switch due to all
the performance issues other logging libraries cause.

>>     On 4 July 2016 at 15:33, Ole Ersoy <ole.ersoy@gmail.com <mailto:ole.ersoy@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>>         I personally like log4j 2 a lot (Because of Java 8 lambda support, cleaner
architecture, etc.) and switching for me was really easy because I use lombok annotations
to generate the logger.  But what would be the "Killer" reason to upgrade if say someone is
using SLF4J?  For example HikariCP has this JMH Benchmarking chart on their front page that
makes a pretty convincing case:
>>         https://github.com/brettwooldridge/HikariCP
>>
>>         Happy 4th,
>>         Ole
>>

>>         On 07/04/2016 02:37 PM, Matt Sicker wrote:
>>>         So what sites are best to get syndicated on for this? I get a lot of
my programming news from various subreddits for instance (r/programming, r/java, r/coding)
along with Twitter. Otherwise, I learn about new things usually from java user groups or online
presentations before digging into detailed tutorials and books.

<mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>> wrote:
>>>             >
>>>             >> Personally, I don’t think talks do all that much. Articles
are great, but IMO the best route is in trying to get other open source projects to use Log4j.

<mailto:boards@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>             >>>
>>>             >>> If we could get a talk in to something big like JavaOne,
that might help adoption, though I have no idea what kind of talks they accept from non-Oracle
people (if any).
>>>             >>>
>>>             >>> On 2 July 2016 at 08:57, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com
<mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>             >>>>
>>>             >>>>
>>>             >>>>
>>>             >>>> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 11:52 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com
<mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>             >>>>>
>>>             >>>>> In spite of the fact that Log4j 2 has a very
compelling story in terms of feature set and performance, I get the impression that adoption
is quite slow. I could be wrong, but how many open source projects use Log4j 2? Or even how
many Apache projects?
>>>             >>>>>
>>>             >>>>> I propose we try to generate some ideas about
what we can do to increase our uptake. Some things I've been thinking about:
>>>             >>>>>
>>>             >>>>> * Rewrite the Wikipedia page on Log4j. It's
mostly about Log4j 1.2 and mentions Log4j 2 at the bottom in a footnote. That needs to be
the other way around in my opinion. The Wikipedia Java logging framework page is even worse.
>>>             >>>>> * The Apache Logging site has no explicit mention
that Log4j 1 is EOL.
>>>             >>>>
>>>             >>>> I updated the Apache Logging page to mention that
Log4j 1 is EOL.
>>>             >>>>
>>>             >>>>>
>>>             >>>>> * Only the top page on the Log4j 1 site mentions
that the project is EOL, but it does so in two modest sentences that don't visually stick
out and are easily ignored. At the very least the download page needs a mention of the EOL
and a link to the Log4j 2 project, but it may be good to have a notification on every page.
>>>             >>>>
>>>             >>>> I added the EOL announcement to the top of all main
pages in the Log4j 1 site.
>>>             >>>>
>>>             >>>>>
>>>             >>>>> * Can we get other people involved in evangelizing
log4j 2? It would be great if we can make more people enthusiastic so they write blog posts
or tutorials etc about Log4j 2.
>>>             >>>>> * How can we incentivise people to convert their
project to Log4j 2? Maybe start a page on Projects Using Log4j 2 and mention people who did
the conversion by name? Or some other way?