logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: log4j2 evangelism
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2016 20:33:12 GMT
I personally like log4j 2 a lot (Because of Java 8 lambda support, cleaner architecture, etc.)
and switching for me was really easy because I use lombok annotations to generate the logger.
 But what would be the "Killer" reason to upgrade if say someone is using SLF4J?  For example
HikariCP has this JMH Benchmarking chart on their front page that makes a pretty convincing
case:
https://github.com/brettwooldridge/HikariCP

Happy 4th,
Ole

On 07/04/2016 02:37 PM, Matt Sicker wrote:
> So what sites are best to get syndicated on for this? I get a lot of my programming news
from various subreddits for instance (r/programming, r/java, r/coding) along with Twitter.
Otherwise, I learn about new things usually from java user groups or online presentations
before digging into detailed tutorials and books.

> On 3 July 2016 at 10:11, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com <mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>     On Jul 2, 2016 4:34 PM, "Remko Popma" <remko.popma@gmail.com <mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > Sent from my iPhone
>     >
>     > On 2016/07/03, at 5:01, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:
>     >
>     >> Personally, I don’t think talks do all that much. Articles are great,
but IMO the best route is in trying to get other open source projects to use Log4j.
>     >
>     > +1
>
>     +1
>
>     Gary
>
>     >
>     >> Then people who start to use those other projects are forced to learn about
Log4j.
>     >>
>     >> Ralph
>     >>
>     >>> On Jul 2, 2016, at 12:15 PM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>     >>>
>     >>> If we could get a talk in to something big like JavaOne, that might
help adoption, though I have no idea what kind of talks they accept from non-Oracle people
(if any).
>     >>>
>     >>> On 2 July 2016 at 08:57, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com <mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>     >>>>
>     >>>>
>     >>>>
>     >>>> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 11:52 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com
<mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>> In spite of the fact that Log4j 2 has a very compelling story
in terms of feature set and performance, I get the impression that adoption is quite slow.
I could be wrong, but how many open source projects use Log4j 2? Or even how many Apache projects?
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>> I propose we try to generate some ideas about what we can do
to increase our uptake. Some things I've been thinking about:
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>> * Rewrite the Wikipedia page on Log4j. It's mostly about Log4j
1.2 and mentions Log4j 2 at the bottom in a footnote. That needs to be the other way around
in my opinion. The Wikipedia Java logging framework page is even worse.
>     >>>>> * The Apache Logging site has no explicit mention that Log4j
1 is EOL.
>     >>>>
>     >>>> I updated the Apache Logging page to mention that Log4j 1 is EOL.
>     >>>>
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>> * Only the top page on the Log4j 1 site mentions that the project
is EOL, but it does so in two modest sentences that don't visually stick out and are easily
ignored. At the very least the download page needs a mention of the EOL and a link to the
Log4j 2 project, but it may be good to have a notification on every page.
>     >>>>
>     >>>> I added the EOL announcement to the top of all main pages in the
Log4j 1 site.
>     >>>>
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>> * Can we get other people involved in evangelizing log4j 2?
It would be great if we can make more people enthusiastic so they write blog posts or tutorials
etc about Log4j 2.
>     >>>>> * How can we incentivise people to convert their project to
Log4j 2? Maybe start a page on Projects Using Log4j 2 and mention people who did the conversion
by name? Or some other way?