logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Log4J 1.x and JDK 9
Date Sun, 17 Jul 2016 05:44:20 GMT

Sent from my iPhone

> On 2016/07/17, at 3:30, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That sounds like a great idea.
>
>> On 16 July 2016 at 11:16, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 16, 2016 12:17 AM, "Remko Popma" <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Shall we start contacting Apache project that still use Log4j 1 with this new
information and offer them our assistance in migrating to Log4j 2 in order to get ready for
Java 9?

>> I like it!

If nobody objects I will write a small post on blogs.apache.org about this, and then start
to contact individual Apache projects.

Remko
>> Gary
>>

>> > Remko
>> >
>> > Sent from my iPhone

a replacement that is better than Log4j 1.2 in pretty much every way.

so people can start planning their migration

of requests to fix any outstanding "simple" (or complex) bugs.

could be opening ourselves to a series of Java 9 EA compatible releases as Java 9 with and
without Jigsaw (these are still separate builds IIRC) gets developed.

work as it is... if we do want to do that now...

release would be a good idea.
testing that implies, then I see no reason they would not also upgrade to Log4j 2...
Java 9 and we would support users who did customizations to Log4j 1.2.

have to try it from a Linux VM.  I think Gary might have built Log4j 1 in the past.

<pbenedict@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
machine to have artifact "sun.jdk:tools:jar:1.4.2".

<boards@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
this error when I build from trunk:

(javadoc.resources) on project log4j: Execution javadoc.resources of goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin:1.2:run
failed: Plugin org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin:1.2 or one of its dependencies
could not be resolved: Could not find artifact sun.jdk:tools:jar:1.4.2 at specified path /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_66.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/../Classes/classes.jar
-> [Help 1]

<remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
need to make sure that Log4j 2 works well with Java 9, but otherwise I think this is an excellent
opportunity for users to upgrade to Log4j 2.

appears 1.x is not compatible with JDK 9:

development community. So here's the notification. :-)

still, what do you guys think of one more 1.x release? Usually I would never entertain the
suggestion, but this may be the one time the justification makes sense. For those who still
use 1.x and have no time to upgrade to 2.x, I can't think of a better way to support the user
community than fix this issue.

to the supposed patch.