logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: log4j2 evangelism
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2016 17:57:37 GMT
http://log4j-props2xml.appspot.com/ <http://log4j-props2xml.appspot.com/>
https://github.com/jroyals/log4j-properties-converter/ <https://github.com/jroyals/log4j-properties-converter/>

https://github.com/mulesoft-labs/log4j2-migrator <https://github.com/mulesoft-labs/log4j2-migrator>

Ralph

> On Jun 13, 2016, at 10:37 AM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What would be neat would be a tool like this one: http://logback.qos.ch/translator/ <http://logback.qos.ch/translator/>
>
> On 13 June 2016 at 12:08, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com <mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:
> The biggest complaints we seem to be getting are about the effort in transitioning from
Log4j 1.x to 2.  To be fair, they would have the same amount of effort to transition to anything.
 I believe someone created a tool to help convert Log4j 1.x configuration to Log4j 2 format.

> Note that I started an effort to read Log4j 1 configuration files, please see org.apache.log4j.config.Log4j1ConfigurationFactory.
It is minimal but it is a start. My longer term plan is to use that to help migrate my work
app server from Log4j 1 to 2 with less friction from our tools group and users.

> Gary
>
> At the very least we should link to that. If possible, we should consider incorporating
it into our web site.

> What has been encouraging to me is the activity on Stack Overflow.  As of right now I
get 3,162 Log4j 2 questions vs 12,425 SLF4J questions and 6,581 Logback questions.  Both SLF4J
and Logback have been around far longer.  I think our participation there has really helped.

> OTOH, the discussion on the Commons Dev list was rather disappointing.
>
> Ralph
>

>> On Jun 13, 2016, at 7:52 AM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com <mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>> In spite of the fact that Log4j 2 has a very compelling story in terms of feature
set and performance, I get the impression that adoption is quite slow. I could be wrong, but
how many open source projects use Log4j 2? Or even how many Apache projects?

>> I propose we try to generate some ideas about what we can do to increase our uptake.
Some things I've been thinking about:

>> * Rewrite the Wikipedia page on Log4j <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Log4j>.
It's mostly about Log4j 1.2 and mentions Log4j 2 at the bottom in a footnote. That needs to
be the other way around in my opinion. The Wikipedia Java logging framework <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_logging_framework>
page is even worse.
>> * The Apache Logging site <https://logging.apache.org/> has no explicit mention
that Log4j 1 is EOL.
>> * Only the top page on the Log4j 1 site <https://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/>
mentions that the project is EOL, but it does so in two modest sentences that don't visually
stick out and are easily ignored. At the very least the download page needs a mention of the
EOL and a link to the Log4j 2 project, but it may be good to have a notification on every
page.
>> * Can we get other people involved in evangelizing log4j 2? It would be great if
we can make more people enthusiastic so they write blog posts or tutorials etc about Log4j
2.
>> * How can we incentivise people to convert their project to Log4j 2? Maybe start
a page on Projects Using Log4j 2 and mention people who did the conversion by name? Or some
other way?