logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: 2.6 Release
Date Tue, 24 May 2016 17:34:24 GMT
OK.  Hopefully I can do it tonight.

Ralph

> On May 24, 2016, at 9:29 AM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> Thanks, Mikael!
> 
> And I fixed LOG4J2-623 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-623> and LOG4J2-1362
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1362>, which were the last remaining showstoppers.
> 
> I think we are ready for the 2.6 release!
> 
> 
> On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 10:59 PM, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>>
wrote:
> Fixed.
> 
> On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 3:41 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com <mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Good catch! Can you fix the manual?
> 
> Sent from my iPhone
> 
> On 2016/05/24, at 17:03, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>>
wrote:
> 
>> The manual says that the default target for ConsoleAppender is SYSTEM_ERR, but it
seems to be SYSTEM_OUT in the code.
>> 
>> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 6:52 PM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com <mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>> Another alternative is too add, later, an option to choose the style of the layout.
Or, provide a different Layout class. My only concern is to be able to validate XML events
with a 'simple' schema. JSONSchema creeps in here as well.
>> 
>> Gary
>> 
>> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 7:49 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:
>> If I was to make the modification I would add an option to the layout to allow it
to behave as it currently does. 
>> 
>> Ralph
>> 
>>> On May 23, 2016, at 7:30 AM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>>> 
>>> I'd support commenting out the YAML layout info in the docs. If users try out
an undocumented feature, they can expect breakage in the future.
>>> 
>>> On 23 May 2016 at 09:21, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com <mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>>> No. In general we can change what's in core, although we try not to break things
if possible.  
>>> 
>>> That said, changing an output format, especially one that's likely to be machine-processed,
is not a good thing. 
>>> 
>>> A quick alternative is to document on the site that we will change the format
for ThreadContext map data in a subsequent release so users can be prepared. 
>>> 
>>> Another alternative is to remove (comment out) the site docs for YAML layout
and release the rest as is since the JSON layout issue is a longstanding issue and addressing
it can be postponed by one release. 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>> 
>>> On 2016/05/23, at 22:54, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>>> 
>>>> That really depends on our guarantee of backwards compatibility. Does it
extend to layouts like this?
>>>> 
>>>> On 23 May 2016 at 07:42, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com <mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>>>> Is the JSON/YAML layout fix a showstopper?
>>>> I haven't seen anyone volunteer to fix it and would not want this to hold
up the release indefinitely... 
>>>> 
>>>> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 3:33 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com
<mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>> wrote:
>>>> My computer had to be sent out for repairs but I was able to retrieve my
code signing key and install it on my other MacBook Pro. So I should be able to start the
release whenever we are ready. From what I can tell we still need a fix for the YAML and Json
layouts.
>>>> 
>>>> Ralph
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>>> On May 22, 2016, at 1:24 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com
<mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>> wrote:
>>>>> 
>>>>> Time machine.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>>> 
>>>>> On May 21, 2016, at 10:41 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com <mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>>>>> 
>>>>>> Good stuff!
>>>>>> This reminded me I need to take a look at my backup strategy. :-)
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 2:12 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com
<mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>> wrote:
>>>>>> I fixed the license header issues. Found a bug in how properties
were being merged into composite configurations - that was causing the problem with ${filename}.

>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Now all I need is to get my personal MacBook Pro to be able to boot.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Ralph
>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> On May 21, 2016, at 5:57 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com
<mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> About the ThreadContext map in JSON/YAML format: towards the
end I see a comment from Ralph that the current output is wrong. If you have the bandwidth
I'd say go ahead and fix it. 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> On Friday, 20 May 2016, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com
<mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>> wrote:
>>>>>>> What about the format for thread context map in JsonLayout and
YamlLayout?
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1362 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1362>
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-623 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-623>
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> Currently it is:
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> {
>>>>>>>   "timeMillis" : 1463730772138,
>>>>>>>   "thread" : "main",
>>>>>>>   "level" : "INFO",
>>>>>>>   "loggerName" : "HelloWorld",
>>>>>>>   "message" : "Hello, world!",
>>>>>>>   "contextStack" : [ "one", "two" ],
>>>>>>>   "endOfBatch" : false,
>>>>>>>   "loggerFqcn" : "org.apache.logging.log4j.spi.AbstractLogger",
>>>>>>>   "contextMap" : [ {
>>>>>>>     "key" : "bar",
>>>>>>>     "value" : "BAR"
>>>>>>>   }, {
>>>>>>>     "key" : "foo",
>>>>>>>     "value" : "FOO"
>>>>>>>   } ],
>>>>>>>   "threadId" : 1,
>>>>>>>   "threadPriority" : 5
>>>>>>> }
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> and:
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> ---
>>>>>>> timeMillis: 1463730772138
>>>>>>> thread: "main"
>>>>>>> level: "INFO"
>>>>>>> loggerName: "HelloWorld"
>>>>>>> message: "Hello, world!"
>>>>>>> contextStack:
>>>>>>> - "one"
>>>>>>> - "two"
>>>>>>> endOfBatch: false
>>>>>>> loggerFqcn: "org.apache.logging.log4j.spi.AbstractLogger"
>>>>>>> contextMap:
>>>>>>> - key: "bar"
>>>>>>>   value: "BAR"
>>>>>>> - key: "foo"
>>>>>>>   value: "FOO"
>>>>>>> threadId: 1
>>>>>>> threadPriority: 5
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 8:50 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com
<>> wrote:
>>>>>>> In fixing the problem with ${filename} I found a bug. I am still
debugging the second test  that is creating that file. Given the slow internet at my hotel
I may have to wait til next week.
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> Ralph
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> On May 19, 2016, at 10:37 AM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com
<>> wrote:
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> I've been making minor edits to the site and docs, but please
feel free to start the release whenever you are ready.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 12:06 AM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com
<>> wrote:
>>>>>>>> I fixed 3 license issues (GilsDosAndDontsLatencyTesting.txt,
log4j-perf/src/main/resources/perf-WithoutAnyAppender-location.xml, and src/main/resources/perf-WithoutAnyAppender.xml).
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 8:30 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com
<>> wrote:
>>>>>>>> Thanks for finding it. I will fix it.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Ralph
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> On May 18, 2016, at 6:02 AM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com
<>> wrote:
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> ${filename} is created by CompositeConfigurationTest,
::compositeLogger and ::testReconfiguration
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> I don't know why though. Can someone else fix that?
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> I will fix the license issues for GilsDosAndDontsLatencyTesting.txt,
>>>>>>>>>> src/main/resources/perf-WithoutAnyAppender-location.xml,
and src/main/resources/perf-WithoutAnyAppender.xml
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> Remko
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> On 2016/05/18, at 13:12, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com
<>> wrote:
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> There are 2 files with unapproved licenses in log4j-core:
${filename} and src/test/java/org/apache/logging/log4j/core/async/perftest/GilsDosAndDontsLatencyTesting.txt.
 Obviously the first is a build error but I am not sure if the second is meant to be there.
If it is it needs an apache license header. We need to figure out which test is generating
the ${filename} and fix it.  
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> There are 3 files with unapproved licenses in log4j-perf:
perf.txt (my fault and needs to be deleted), src/main/resources/perf-WithoutAnyAppender-location.xml,
and src/main/resources/perf-WithoutAnyAppender.xml.
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> These need to be fixed before I can release.
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> Ralph
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>> On May 17, 2016, at 12:35 PM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com
<>> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>> No need to torture yourself with slow internet.
We can wait a few days no? That would give us all time or at least myself to review the current
code. But I can't look until tonight at the earliest...
>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>> Gary
>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>> On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 8:15 AM, Ralph Goers
<ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <>> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>> The performance page has been completed. Is there
anything left to do before the 2.6 release build?  If not I can start it tonight - I hope.
The wireless speed at my hotel is terrible so I have to use the hotspot on my phone.
>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>> Ralph
>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: log4j-dev-unsubscribe@logging.apache.org
<>
>>>>>>>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: log4j-dev-help@logging.apache.org
<>
>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>> -- 
>>>>>>>>>>> E-Mail: garydgregory@gmail.com <> | ggregory@apache.org
 <>
>>>>>>>>>>> Java Persistence with Hibernate, Second Edition
<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
>>>>>>>>>>> JUnit in Action, Second Edition <http://www.manning.com/tahchiev/>
>>>>>>>>>>> Spring Batch in Action <http://www.manning.com/templier/>
>>>>>>>>>>> Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com <http://garygregory.wordpress.com/>

>>>>>>>>>>> Home: http://garygregory.com/ <http://garygregory.com/>
>>>>>>>>>>> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory <http://twitter.com/GaryGregory>
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> -- 
>>>>>>>  
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> Mikael Ståldal
>>>>>>> Senior software developer 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> Magine TV
>>>>>>> mikael.staldal@magine.com <>    
>>>>>>> Grev Turegatan 3  | 114 46 Stockholm, Sweden  |   www.magine.com
 <http://www.magine.com/>
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> Privileged and/or Confidential Information may be contained in
this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message
>>>>>>> (or responsible for delivery of the message to such a person),
you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, 
>>>>>>> you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender
by reply email.   
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> -- 
>>>> Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> -- 
>>> Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> -- 
>> E-Mail: garydgregory@gmail.com <mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com> | ggregory@apache.org
 <mailto:ggregory@apache.org>
>> Java Persistence with Hibernate, Second Edition <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
>> JUnit in Action, Second Edition <http://www.manning.com/tahchiev/>
>> Spring Batch in Action <http://www.manning.com/templier/>
>> Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com <http://garygregory.wordpress.com/>

>> Home: http://garygregory.com/ <http://garygregory.com/>
>> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory <http://twitter.com/GaryGregory>
>> 
>> 
>> -- 
>>  
>> 
>> Mikael Ståldal
>> Senior software developer 
>> 
>> Magine TV
>> mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>    
>> Grev Turegatan 3  | 114 46 Stockholm, Sweden  |   www.magine.com  <http://www.magine.com/>
>> 
>> Privileged and/or Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you
are not the addressee indicated in this message
>> (or responsible for delivery of the message to such a person), you may not copy or
deliver this message to anyone. In such case, 
>> you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email.   
> 
> 
> 
> -- 
>  
> 
> Mikael Ståldal
> Senior software developer 
> 
> Magine TV
> mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>    
> Grev Turegatan 3  | 114 46 Stockholm, Sweden  |   www.magine.com  <http://www.magine.com/>
> 
> Privileged and/or Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are
not the addressee indicated in this message
> (or responsible for delivery of the message to such a person), you may not copy or deliver
this message to anyone. In such case, 
> you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email.   
> 


Mime
View raw message