logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Time for release?
Date Fri, 22 Apr 2016 06:27:47 GMT
The only thing remaining for the 2.6 release for me is the performance
tests for the garbage-free logging manual page LOG4J2-1297
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1297>.

I asked folks on the Mechanical Sympathy mailing list to verify my approach
(
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mechanical-sympathy/HwTrOMnm6h0/4bTFm8mQJwAJ)
 and got back a few replies that I'm still digesting.

Almost there... :-)

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 3:21 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:

> Gary, parameters from the logging call are now passed correctly to the
> appenders even in async scenarios.
>
> I added an example to LOG4J2-1342
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1342> of how to get the
> parameters when the Message is a ReusableMessage.
>
> The "normal" message.getParameters() method would create a copy of the
> array that is the exact length of the number of parameters, while with
> ReusableMessages there is a reused array of length 10 that is populated
> with the unrolled varargs...
>
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 7:59 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'll wait for the new CSV code before I investigate a GC-free version.
>>
>> Remko; no rush, I have plenty on my plate at work and elsewhere.
>>
>> Gary
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 2:03 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm working on the last few remaining things for the LOG4J2-1270
>>> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1270> garbage-free epic
>>> that I want to include in 2.6:
>>>
>>> * Documentation LOG4J2-1297
>>> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1297> (todo:  performance
>>> comparison)
>>> * making synchronous logging garbage-free:  LOG4J2-1334
>>> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1334> (one broken unit
>>> test left)
>>> * passing message parameters down when logging async LOG4J2-1342
>>> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1342>. Needed for CSV
>>> layout. (initial implementation done, not committed yet, need to add unit
>>> tests)
>>>
>>> Of these the performance test results are most important.
>>> Latency/response time tests I still need to figure out how to do correctly.
>>>

>>> (Phew, almost there! That garbage-free thing was a boatload of work! Now
>>> I know why they call these things "epics"...)
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>>> On 2016/04/21, at 4:28, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I, too, want to use the StackWalker API, but as it is currently, I don't
>>> see how we can use it without having some classes being compiled against
>>> Java 9. Reflection doesn't look like it'll work too well what with the
>>> lambdas unless we were targeting Java 8.

 Is
 We have a lot