logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fast and Furious
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2016 05:12:55 GMT
One other interesting thing I learned is that improper use of logging is a
huge source of performance problems. The GC-free parameterized message
factory will help with one aspect of that (I suggested parameterized
messages, but he countered with the Object[] that is created), and
encouraging users to use a Supplier<String> instead of passing parameters
should help as well (especially when those parameters have to be computed).
He had some strong criticisms of logging APIs promoting bad practices which
stems all the way back to log4j1 and affects pretty much every logging API
in Java (some criticisms were actually outdated or didn't consider newer
features of the API like markers and the huge amount of filters available).

His other big idea was promoting the use of binary logging formats because
humans rarely read the raw log files as it is, but it's not like there's a
standard way to do that.

Now I kinda wonder if he'll find this thread one day and tell me how I
misinterpreted him or something. ;)

On 1 March 2016 at 22:28, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alright, I learned some interesting things. I'm going to get us some tools
> we can use to try and profile this. Otherwise, he did suggest trying out
> this project:
> https://github.com/RichardWarburton/honest-profiler
>
> On 1 March 2016 at 19:31, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So far he's said something about using lambdas for lazy evaluation
>> (though I don't think that would actually help us at all). I'll try to talk
>> to him one-on-one afterward to delve more into this.
>>
>> On 1 March 2016 at 18:13, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, most of the tests have the commands in the comments right in
>>> the class. Just cut and past.
>>>
>>> Ralph
>>>
>>> On Mar 1, 2016, at 1:43 PM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I can't even figure out how to execute the simple perf test class.
>>> IntelliJ gives me some annotation processing error, and doing it from the
>>> command line is turning into a classpath nightmare to figure out what jars
>>> are needed to execute the test manually.

I've

few unit tests to

Async Logger
string messages