logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fast and Furious
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2016 08:15:12 GMT
Re: binary logging, I think he's talking about providing an API to log objects directly into
byte buffers without turning them into Strings first.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1274 and https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-506

were created with that in mind and should be a good step in that direction.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 2016/03/02, at 15:11, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Well, I've often wondered about creating a binary format but it seems that you could
use JSON+ZIP or BSON and get most of the advantages.

> Gary
>
>> On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 9:12 PM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>> One other interesting thing I learned is that improper use of logging is a huge source
of performance problems. The GC-free parameterized message factory will help with one aspect
of that (I suggested parameterized messages, but he countered with the Object[] that is created),
and encouraging users to use a Supplier<String> instead of passing parameters should
help as well (especially when those parameters have to be computed). He had some strong criticisms
of logging APIs promoting bad practices which stems all the way back to log4j1 and affects
pretty much every logging API in Java (some criticisms were actually outdated or didn't consider
newer features of the API like markers and the huge amount of filters available).

>> His other big idea was promoting the use of binary logging formats because humans
rarely read the raw log files as it is, but it's not like there's a standard way to do that.

>> Now I kinda wonder if he'll find this thread one day and tell me how I misinterpreted
him or something. ;)

>>> On 1 March 2016 at 22:28, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Alright, I learned some interesting things. I'm going to get us some tools we
can use to try and profile this. Otherwise, he did suggest trying out this project:
>>> https://github.com/RichardWarburton/honest-profiler

I don't think that would actually help us at all). I'll try to talk to him one-on-one afterward
to delve more into this.

IntelliJ gives me some annotation processing error, and doing it from the command line is
turning into a classpath nightmare to figure out what jars are needed to execute the test
manually.

available after the preso to talk about some issue we are seeing?

It's supposed to be a Java performance workshop type of thing, so if you've got a decent way
to ask about it, I could see if he can help figure out this regression. I can at least show
off the SimplePerfTest and any microbenchmarks we have.

find which changes caused the problem.

nice theme to publicize when you get it figured out.

and layouts by testing with log4j-core\src\test\resources\perf-CountingNoOpAppender.xml and
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.async.perftest.SimplePerfTest, I've confirmed my initial numbers:

since 2.0, performance improves a little up to 4M ops/sec.
source to the 2.0 version, performance is back to 7.5M ops/sec.

back to 2.6 functionality without losing performance...

<remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
log4j-core/test, package ...async.perf).
all loggers are AsyncLoggers, logging a simple string without parameters.

using CountingNoOpAppender, and seeing similar numbers. So this seems to be mostly an issue
in AsyncLogger.

this may take a while...

<mikael.staldal@magine.com> wrote:

> [...]
are involved in the tests? Would it be possible to do some profiling to see if there is any
particular component which is to blame?

on concrete numbers for this trend:

have quite a few unit tests to add.

downward trend in Async Logger performance with every release. (Logging simple string messages
without params.) This is worrisome and I'm focusing on figuring that out first: this will
likely involve additional code changes and I'll add more tests after that.

we are seeing toward 2.6! All the perf work on top of an existing sizable change set. Very
exciting indeed.

coming in. I hope that we all can pitch in to make sure most if not all of these changes get
code coverage from unit tests. I've not checked closely, but it seems like we may not have
good coverage _yet_, or do I have the wrong impression?

our stability in tip top shape :-) and that we have no regression from previous releases.

| ggregory@apache.org
Second Edition

Sweden  |   www.magine.com

may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message
to such a person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case,
notify the sender by reply email.