logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: issue with org.apache.logging.log4j.core.layout.AbstractStringLayout.getStringBuilder()
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2016 21:02:51 GMT
I would trim it to a default max value - something like 10K. Even that seems like a lot.  This
should be configurable through our properties file.

Ralph

> On Mar 11, 2016, at 1:56 PM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So do we need a layout setting to shrink the buffer back down after a while to a user
defined level?

> This is after answering the obvious question of why would you log a 10 MB message?
>
> Gary
>
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 12:38 PM, luca boncompagni <lbonco@gmail.com <mailto:lbonco@gmail.com>>
wrote:

> Il 11/mar/2016 21:14, "Matt Sicker" <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
ha scritto:

> > Does your app make a lot of large log messages or is it just used in a couple loggers?
Because I think you could use a custom MessageFactory for those loggers to reduce memory usage
at the cost of performance.

> My app is a webapp running on wildfly. Long message are not so frequent, but if I have
every thread of wildfly with a StringBuilder of ~ 10Mb I have some serious memory problem.