logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fast and Furious
Date Sat, 27 Feb 2016 03:18:57 GMT
This is the PerfTestDriver test class (in log4j-core/test, package ...async.perf).
Mainly perf3PlainNoLocation.xml:
RollingRandomAccessFileAppender, PatternLayout, all loggers are AsyncLoggers, logging a simple
string without parameters.

Profiling with YourKit did not tell me anything useful.

I'm now eliminating the effect of Layouts/Appenders, using CountingNoOpAppender, and seeing
similar numbers. So this seems to be mostly an issue in AsyncLogger.

I'll let you know when I find out more.
There's a lot of trial and error here, so this may take a while...

Remko

Sent from my iPhone

> On 2016/02/26, at 21:02, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com> wrote:
>
> Which components (appenders, layouts) are involved in the tests? Would it be possible
to do some profiling to see if there is any particular component which is to blame?

>> On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 12:51 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>> To give you some rough impression on concrete numbers for this trend:
>> 2.0: ~6M ops/sec
>> 2.1-2.2: ~5M ops/sec
>> 2.3-2.4: ~3-4M ops/sec
>> 2.5: ~3M ops/sec
>> 2.6: ~2M ops/sec
>>

>>> On Friday, 26 February 2016, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> You're absolutely right. I still have quite a few unit tests to add.
>>>
>>> Initial perf testing shows a downward trend in Async Logger performance with
every release. (Logging simple string messages without params.) This is worrisome and I'm
focusing on figuring that out first: this will likely involve additional code changes and
I'll add more tests after that.

>>> Sent from my iPhone

of an existing sizable change set. Very exciting indeed.

to make sure most if not all of these changes get code coverage from unit tests. I've not
checked closely, but it seems like we may not have good coverage _yet_, or do I have the wrong
impression?

have no regression from previous releases.

> --
>

> Mikael Ståldal
> Senior software developer
>
> Magine TV
> mikael.staldal@magine.com
> Grev Turegatan 3  | 114 46 Stockholm, Sweden  |   www.magine.com
>
> Privileged and/or Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are
not the addressee indicated in this message
> (or responsible for delivery of the message to such a person), you may not copy or deliver
this message to anyone. In such case,