logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: traceExit and auto-boxing
Date Mon, 15 Feb 2016 23:46:55 GMT
A word of caution: the Logger API already has 209 method (and I think a few just got added).
This will explode if we just add "var-arg unrolling" methods for 1 param, 2 params, 3 params,
...  (up to how many?) Especially if we want to also prevent auto boxing in all possible combinations
of the primitive types boolean, long and double.

There may be other ways to accomplish this. Let's think about this a bit longer. I'll add
a Jira for this in the no-GC epic.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 2016/02/16, at 1:59, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Considering the garbage-free epic, this sounds like a good idea to bake in from the start.
>
>> On 15 February 2016 at 10:39, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All:
>>
>> My my custom flow logger, I avoid auto-boxing on traceExit() calls by having primitive
versions of the APIs. We could do the same and avoid auto-boxing unless a logger's level is
enabled.

>> This generates a lot less garbage when, for example, we flow trace our JDBC APIs
and get 50m rows and 50 columns per row.