logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Log4j for Scala
Date Mon, 14 Dec 2015 16:37:39 GMT
I’d actually suggest using a version that has nothing to do with Log4j’s versioning at
this point. For example 0.9 is a great way to let people know it isn’t GA.

Ralph

> On Dec 14, 2015, at 9:29 AM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm pretty sure you can use different versions for different modules. We just keep the
same version across the project. Making it 2.5-beta1 sounds fine to me.

> On 14 December 2015 at 03:00, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>>
wrote:
> My intention is to make a public release, which is easily accessible (binaries through
Maven central), but mark it as preview somehow to be able to get some feedback before we commit
to a final API.

> I would prefer if we could use the same group and artifact names as in the final, but
include something in the version which marks it as preview. Such as "2.5-beta1"

> On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 12:15 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:
> I believe I could run the release plugin against just his module, but I have never tried
that. Or the process could be done manually.

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Dec 11, 2015, at 11:44 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com <mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>> I thought Mikael's intention was to make the scala module part of the next release,
while somehow marking it as experimental so that we can still make changes to the API depending
on user feedback.

>> I don't mind either way, but is there any way to release only the scala module?
>>
>> Remko
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 2015/12/12, at 14:56, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:

>>> If it builds by default it will be part of the next release, which I am not certain
is assured yet.  I think that is why he wants to release it separately.

>>> Ralph

it should be okay to build this module by default. No need for setting up a separate profile
AFAIC.

as experimental but you can’t do that in the pom as I recall. I think you have to specify
the project as of type pom and then use the maven helper plugin to attach it as an artifact
with a classifier.

<mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com>> wrote:

> [...]
to the parent pom that has the experimental modules in it. They wouldn’t have to build by
default.

of 2.5.1, our next release would be 2.6.

 In fact, that is where Log4j 2 originated.  I am not sure how to do the same thing with git.
 If you have an account at github you could put the project there. But we really can’t publish
anything officially from there.

Log4j.

and let them depend on Log4j API 2.5, if that is possible.

feeling up to trying your hand at RM duties?

beta as a single separate module. Then integrate it once you are sure.

today if we are ready.  I just want to review the delete stuff Remko just added.

2.6-beta _at the same time_ with the Scala modules.

be good to be able to release some beta or preview version of this and get some feedback from
Scala developers before we make the API final.

the directory name. However, we were advised that they should or else some of the Maven plugins
might have problems. I think the site plugin was one of them.

Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>> wrote:

> [...]
name via <finalName> or something like that.

i know. I think certain maven behaviors relies on this...

have to match the module name I thought.

wrote:

> [...]
LOG4J-1181 in Git.

as well.

at 7:51 PM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com <mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com>>
wrote:

> [...]
module folder name will be like that too, right?

2015 at 2:11 AM, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>>
wrote:

> [...]
not maintain binary compatibility between major versions. There is a convention for encoding
this into Maven artifact IDs, it will be: "log4j-scala_2.10", "log4j-scala_2.11" etc.

26, 2015 at 7:29 PM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:

> [...]
it could be handy.

2015 at 12:29, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com <mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com>>
wrote:

> [...]
on hearing that Scala suffers from a lot compatibility issues from version to version. Would
is make sense to tag on a version to the module to account for this, like log4j-scala-2.11.7?

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>>
wrote:

I am thinking of making a log4j module, "log4j-scala", with a Scala wrapper for Log4j 2, inspired
from

https://github.com/typesafehub/scala-logging <https://github.com/typesafehub/scala-logging>

Would that make sense?

--

Mikael Ståldal

Senior software developer

Magine TV

mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>

Regeringsgatan 25  | 111 53 Stockholm, Sweden  |   www.magine.com <http://www.magine.com/>

Privileged and/or Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are not
the addressee indicated in this message

(or responsible for delivery of the message to such a person), you may not copy or deliver
this message to anyone. In such case,

you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email.

garydgregory@gmail.com <mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com> | ggregory@apache.org <mailto:ggregory@apache.org>

Persistence with Hibernate, Second Edition
in Action, Second Edition
Batch in Action
http://garygregory.wordpress.com <http://garygregory.wordpress.com/>
http://garygregory.com/ <http://garygregory.com/>
http://twitter.com/GaryGregory <http://twitter.com/GaryGregory>

<boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>

developer

<mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>
25  | 111 53 Stockholm, Sweden  |   www.magine.com <http://www.magine.com/>

Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated
in this message
for delivery of the message to such a person), you may not copy or deliver this message to
anyone. In such case,
this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email.

<mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com> | ggregory@apache.org <mailto:ggregory@apache.org>

with Hibernate, Second Edition
Second Edition