logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Log4j for Scala
Date Fri, 11 Dec 2015 23:52:56 GMT
That is true.  In fact, we could add an “experimental" profile to the parent pom that has
the experimental modules in it. They wouldn’t have to build by default.

Ralph

> On Dec 11, 2015, at 2:49 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Why not just put it on master and _document_ it as "experimental, feedback requested".

> That way we simply use our existing release process and instead of 2.5.1, our next release
would be 2.6.

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 2015/12/12, at 3:05, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:

>> With SVN we had a separate branch for experimental stuff.  In fact, that is where
Log4j 2 originated.  I am not sure how to do the same thing with git.  If you have an account
at github you could put the project there. But we really can’t publish anything officially
from there.

>> If you have a proposal on how to do this please let us know.
>>
>> Ralph
>>
>>> On Dec 11, 2015, at 10:12 AM, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>>
wrote:

>>> I do not really know that it means to do RM stuff for Log4j.
>>>
>>> I think it would be enough to release the Scala modules, and let them depend
on Log4j API 2.5, if that is possible.

>>> On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 6:09 PM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com <mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>>> Seems fine with me. Label it 2.6-beta1? Mikael, are you feeling up to trying
your hand at RM duties?

>>> Should we release just these Scala modules as 2.6-beta1 or the whole suite?
>>>
>>> Gary
>>>
>>> On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 9:07 AM, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com
<mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>> wrote:
>>> So can we release some Scala API preview now when 2.5 is out?
>>>
>>> On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 3:58 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com <mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com>>
wrote:

module. Then integrate it once you are sure.

>>> +1
>>>
>>> Gary

 I just want to review the delete stuff Remko just added.

some beta or preview version of this and get some feedback from Scala developers before we
make the API final.

However, we were advised that they should or else some of the Maven plugins might have problems.
I think the site plugin was one of them.

<mailto:boards@gmail.com>> wrote:

> [...]
maven behaviors relies on this...

be like that too, right?

compatibility between major versions. There is a convention for encoding this into Maven artifact
IDs, it will be: "log4j-scala_2.10", "log4j-scala_2.11" etc.

suffers from a lot compatibility issues from version to version. Would is make sense to tag
on a version to the module to account for this, like log4j-scala-2.11.7?

wrote:

> [...]
a log4j module, "log4j-scala", with a Scala wrapper for Log4j 2, inspired from

53 Stockholm, Sweden  |   www.magine.com <http://www.magine.com/>

Information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this
message
of the message to such a person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such
case,
message and kindly notify the sender by reply email.

<mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com> | ggregory@apache.org <mailto:ggregory@apache.org>

Second Edition
<http://garygregory.com/>