logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Is there anything besides the Logger name that uniquely identifies a Logger?
Date Thu, 15 Oct 2015 02:32:44 GMT
I am not sure why you would need or want to serialize any plugins.  Logger basically references
the LoggerContext and the PrivateConfig.  Both of these should be transient as it makes very
little sense for those to be deserialized on a target implementation. But even serializing
the actual Logger makes very little sense. On the target system you would want to call LogManager.getLogger(name)
to recreate it.

What I would suggest is to use the Proxy pattern that is used by Log4jLogEvent to serialize
and deserialize the Logger. What would be different is that the serialization would basically
only serialize the logger name and deserialization would call LogManager.getLogger(name).

Ralph

> On Oct 14, 2015, at 7:02 PM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Basically, to naively serialize a Logger, you need to serialize all the plugins associated
with it. As most things in log4j-core can be classified as either plugins or "framework" code,
that's really most of the codebase.

> On 14 October 2015 at 18:00, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com <mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> If it's really 50%, then yeah, that's suspicious. I'd like to hear if Ralph or Remko
have any insights here.

> Gary
>
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 3:04 PM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Most people use a static field to store the Logger, so most use cases don't require serialization.
For instance fields, it might work better to declare it transient, and in that case, our implementation
of Logger should not be Serializable at all. Otherwise, there are ways to serialize everything,
but the way it looks, that will require making over 50% of the code base Serializable which
doesn't smell right to me.

> On 14 October 2015 at 16:54, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com <mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> It would be a neat trick to only use the logger name for ser/deser. But a logger only
exists in a LC, so how would you re-create the Logger object. LogManager.getLogger(String)
can't account for the message factory for example. Would knowing the class within which the
static Logger resides be enough to know which LC to use? I do not see how :-( I think we need
Ralph's insight here.

> The alternative would be... to recommend that all Logger declarations be transient? That
does not seen realistic, especially accounting for code you cannot change.

> Gary
>
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 2:48 PM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Perhaps besides a particular LoggerContext. I have an idea on how to significantly simplify
the serialization of Logger, and if we can simply unserialize it based purely on its name,
then that would save a lot of trouble. I don't remember if we've discussed this idea in the
past, but I think this would be the best way to implement serialization in Logger. I wouldn't
want to pass a Logger over the wire and clobber a possibly different configuration already
in memory at the time, for instance.