logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 2.4 web site
Date Mon, 28 Sep 2015 23:25:19 GMT
I fixed the compression issue (LOG4J2-1135
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1135>) but I don't think I
will be able to look at the log4j: lookup issue (LOG4J2-1050
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1050>). About that log4j
lookup: some time ago when working on other issues I did notice that the
context's configLocation property is null sometimes but I never really dug
into when or why this happens. So I am not sure if this only happens with
web-apps or whether it is because the config was not explicitly specified
but loaded from the classpath... I hope someone else has time to look into
this.

The new scripting feature also looks very interesting but since I'm
travelling I may not have time in the next few weeks to give it the
attention it deserves.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 4:07 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I am. I have a fix and will commit soon. Will also try to add an
> extra unit test if time permits....
>
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 3:57 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Remko,
>>
>> Are you working on the fix for the compression?
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On Sep 28, 2015, at 6:03 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry Remko, I just realized you wrote the message and not Gary.
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On Sep 28, 2015, at 5:40 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> At this point LOG4J2-1137 is just an idea. I have no idea when I would
>> implement it. LOG4J2-1136 is code complete. I just have some. More
>> documentation to write.
>>
>> I agree, fixing compression and the property substitution need to happen
>> quickly. I don't know that I care whether the next release is 2.4.1 or 2.5.
>> However I would like the scripting support in a release fairly quickly. I
>> was hoping you and Remko would take a look at it and see if there is
>> anything you would like to change.
>>
>> Ralph
>>
>> On Sep 28, 2015, at 5:05 AM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ralph, both scripting support (LOG4J2-1136
>> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1136>) and
>> buffering-until-trigger (LOG4J2-1137
>> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1137>) seem like features
>> that warrant a minor version increase (2.5) rather than a bugfix version
>> increase (2.4.1). Is that what you have in mind?
>>
>> It looks like 2.4 broke compression on rollover (LOG4J2-1135
>> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1135>). In my opinion this
>> is a blocker for 2.4.1 (we really should include a fix for this). We can
>> also look at the problem with property substitution (LOG4J2-1050
>> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1050>) that Adam reported.
>> Not sure if this is a 2.4.1 blocker, but since it is a new feature for 2.4
>> it is a bit embarrassing if it doesn't work.
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 1:35 PM, Mikael Ståldal <
>> mikael.staldal@magine.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Can we fix it?

Macbook at

 It is now