logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AW: org.apache.logging.log4j.core.LifeCycle.State.INITIAL
Date Tue, 01 Sep 2015 07:29:49 GMT
If you want the naming to be consistent, then why not INITIALIZING?

That gives you
<state>ING and <state>ED for all states.

But I'm fine with just INITIAL as well.

Remko

Sent from my iPhone

> On 2015/09/01, at 15:32, "Dominik Psenner" <dpsenner@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Agreeing with Gary. To me „INITIAL“ is not what this state means and it is too familiar
with “INITIALIZED”. One can easily misread and mix up the two states. Something like “ALLOCATED”,
“INITIALIZE_ME”, “UNINITIALIZED”, .. would be more to the point. But that’s again
my subjective impression.

> Dominik

that means the constructor ran but other things still need to happen before it can be started.
 Another way to look at it is that “initial” means the object has been constructed but
initialize() has not yet been called.

> Ralph
>
> On Aug 31, 2015, at 2:35 PM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Well, that's what I am asking, "better" is subjective ;-). When I see INITIAL, I think
that something happened to make it INITIAL, IOW I do not feel much a difference with INITIALIZED.
Maybe it's just me that needs convincing.

> What are we trying to convey here? That "new" happened? IOW the ctor was called? Which
should mean the object is initialized. Usually, decent design says that when you build an
object with a ctor, you should initialize it, but here, of course, with builders, we are in
a different situation. Maybe ALLOCATED happens before INITIALIZED? I kinda like ALLOCATED,
it says "I've been built at a low level but I might be ready to go; put some gas in the engine
before you tirn the key".