logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.4 rc1
Date Tue, 22 Sep 2015 23:17:25 GMT
Not in my book.  I suspect it could be worked around by including a more modern version of
Xerces.  What I don’t get is that they must be using Java 7.  Seems strange to support that
and not have XInclude support.

Ralph

> On Sep 22, 2015, at 3:33 PM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is LOG4J2-1127 worth another RC?
>
> Gary
>
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 8:32 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com <mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> (Including PMC in recipients)
>

> +1
>
> I see many issues with the site (details below), but AFAICS no showstoppers - unless
we consider dependency-convergence mandatory?
> I also found a bug in CsvLogEventLayout: NanoTime will always be zero (need to set NanoClockFactory
mode - details below).

> ----
> (Notation: "-": current problematic text to be replaced, "+": replacement text)
> ----
>
> changelog.html (outdated/wrong)
> -Configuration via property files is not supported.
> +Configuration via property files is supported from version 2.4, but is not compatible
with Log4j 1.x.

> changes.xml (improvement)
> -LOG4J2-952: Add ConfigurationBuilder.
> +LOG4J2-952: Add ConfigurationBuilder for programmatic configuration.
>
> faq.html (outdated, duplicate)
> * Under "How do I configure log4j2 in code without a configuration file?"
> -You could use the static method #initialize(String contextName, ClassLoader loader,
String configLocation) (see source code) in org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.Configurator.
(You can pass null for the class loader.) Be aware that this class is not part of the public
API so your code may break with any minor release.
> +From 2.4, Log4j 2 provides an [API for programmatic configuration|manual/customconfig.html].
The new ConfigurationBuilder API allows you to create Configurations in code by constructing
component _definitions_ without requiring you to know about the internals of actual configuration
objects like Loggers and Appenders.

the code for JeroMQ says @PluginElement("Filters") Filter filter

> -Property, Type=Property
> +properties (lower case, plural), Type=Property[] - to be consistent with docs for PropertiesRewritePolicy
in RewriteAppender

> manual/layouts.html (CsvLogEventLayout bug, site errors)
> * CSV Layout is missing from the left nav-bar in Layouts
> * CSV Layout section should mention dependency on Apache Commons CSV. (See JSONLayout
on same page.)
> * Bug: CsvLogEventLayout generates NanoTime timestamps but these are always zero.
>   To fix this, add the below code to the CsvLogEventLayout constructor:
>       // LOG4J2-1074 Switch to actual clock if nanosecond timestamps are required in
config.
>       // LoggerContext will notify known NanoClockFactory users that the configuration
has changed.
>       NanoClockFactory.setMode(NanoClockFactory.Mode.System);
>
> * GELF Layout should be before HTML Layout in body text and in left nav-bar (alphabetical
order)
> * HTML Layout should be before JSON Layout in body text (alphabetical order - the nav-bar
order is correct)
> * (Under Location Information)
> 	-%C or $class - this is rendered as "%C or class java.lang.Object"
> 	+%C or %class
>

> manual/customconfig.html (improvements)
> * Side-nav menu title "Extending Log4j Configuration" should be "Programmatic Log4j Configuration"
> * Title "Custom Configurations" -> "Programmatic Configuration"
>

> log4j-api/dependency-convergence.html
> Error: You do not have 100 % convergence. - is this a showstopper?
>
> log4j-api/clirr-report.html
> 77 Clirr errors - I believe these are all expected and can be ignored.
>
> log4j-api/checkstyle.html
> 122 checkstyle errors - not showstoppers
>
> log4j-core/index.html
> * Missing dependency information for JeroMQ/ZeroMQ Appender on JeroMQ library
> * Missing dependency information for CSV layouts on Apache Commons CSV
>
> log4j-core/dependency-convergence.html
> Error: You do not have 100 % convergence. - Is this a showstopper?
>
> log4j-core/checkstyle.html
> 1652 checkstyle errors - not showstoppers
>

> log4j-liquibase/index.html
> -due the the plugin auto discovery
> -due to the plugin auto discovery
>
> log4j-liquibase/dependency-convergence.html
> Error: You do not have 100 % convergence. - Is this a showstopper?
>

> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 11:04 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <>>
wrote:
> This is a vote to release Log4j 2.4, the next version of the Log4j 2 project.
>
> Please download, test, and cast your votes on the log4j developers list.
> [] +1, release the artifacts
> [] -1, don't release because...
>
> The vote will remain open for 72 hours (or more if required). All votes are welcome,
but only Logging PMC votes are “officially” counted. As always, at least 3 +1 votes and
more positive than negative votes are required.

> Changes in this version include:
>
> New features:
> o LOG4J2-635:  Add support for configuration via Properties.
> o LOG4J2-952:  Add ConfigurationBuilder.
> o LOG4J2-599:  Added support for Java 8 lambda expressions to lazily construct a log
message only if
>               the requested log level is enabled.
> o LOG4J2-1118:  Updated Logger wrapper generator tool to add Java 8 lambda support for
custom log levels.
> o LOG4J2-1107:  New Appender for Apache Kafka. Thanks to Mikael Ståldal.
> o LOG4J2-1113:  New publisher Appender for ZeroMQ (using JeroMQ). Thanks to Gary Gregory.
> o LOG4J2-1088:  Add Comma Separated Value (CSV) layouts for parameter and event logging.
Thanks to Gary Gregory.
> o LOG4J2-1090:  Add Core Configurator APIs to change a logger's level.
> o LOG4J2-1105:  Add API org.apache.logging.log4j.Level.isInRange(Level, Level). Thanks
to Gary Gregory.
> o LOG4J2-1106:  Add a LevelRangeFilter class. Thanks to Gary Gregory.
> o LOG4J2-1076:  Added support for system nanosecond time in pattern layout.
> o LOG4J2-1075:  Added support for compressing to bzip2 format on file rollover.
> o LOG4J2-1077:  Support additional Apache Commons Compress compression formats on rollover:
Deflate, Pack200, XY.
> o LOG4J2-767:  New module for Liquibase integration. Thanks to Mikael Ståldal.
> o LOG4J2-1023:  New RewritePolicy for changing level of a log event. Thanks to Mikael
Ståldal.
> o LOG4J2-1015:  Add a way to route messages based on the %marker in Layout for RoutingAppender.
Thanks to Daniel Marcotte.
> o LOG4J2-1050:  Add a Log4jLookup class to help write log files relative to log4j2.xml.
Thanks to Adam Retter.
> o LOG4J2-1057:  Add API org.apache.logging.log4j.LogManager.getFormatterLogger().
> o LOG4J2-1066:  Expose Log4jContextFactory's ShutdownCallbackRegistry. Thanks to Charles
Allen.

> Fixed Bugs:
> o LOG4J2-1121:  Fixed potential race condition on reconfiguration. Introduced ReliabilityStrategy
to facilitate
>         switching between different mechanisms for preventing log events from being dropped
on reconfiguration.
> o LOG4J2-1123:  Core Configurator.initialize(String, ClassLoader, String) fails to work
when config location is a file path. Thanks to Gary Gregory.
> o LOG4J2-1117:  OutputStreamManager in ConsoleAppender leaking managers. Thanks to Marcus
Thiesen.
> o LOG4J2-1044:  Write pending events to Flume when the appender is stopped.
> o LOG4J2-1108:  NullPointerException when passing null to java.util.logging.Logger.setLevel().
Thanks to Mikael Ståldal.
> o LOG4J2-1110:  org.apache.logging.log4j.jul.CoreLogger.setLevel() checks for security
permission too late.
> o LOG4J2-1084:  Misleading StatusLogger WARN event in LogManager with java.util.Map.
Thanks to Philipp Schneider.
> o LOG4J2-1051:  NoClassDefFoundError when starting app on Google App Engine. Thanks to
Lukasz Lenart.
> o LOG4J2-684:  ExtendedThrowablePatternConverter does not print suppressed exceptions.
Thanks to Joern Huxhorn, Mauro Molinari.
> o LOG4J2-1069:  Improper handling of JSON escape chars when deserializing JSON log events.
Thanks to Sam Braam.
> o LOG4J2-1068:  Exceptions not logged when using TcpSocketServer + SerializedLayout.
Thanks to Andy McMullan.
> o LOG4J2-1067:  ThrowableProxy getExtendedStackTraceAsString throws NPE on deserialized
nested exceptions. Thanks to Sam Braam.
> o LOG4J2-1049:  AsyncAppender now resets the thread interrupted flag after catching InterruptedException.
Thanks to Robert Schaft.
> o LOG4J2-1048:  FileConfigurationMonitor unnecessarily calls System.currentTimeMillis()
causing high CPU usage. Thanks to Nikhil.
> o LOG4J2-1037:  Backward compatibility issue in log4j-1.2-api NDC pop() and peek(). Thanks
to Marc Dergacz.
> o LOG4J2-1025:  Custom java.util.logging.Level gives null Log4j Level and causes NPE.
Thanks to Mikael Ståldal.
> o LOG4J2-1033:  SimpleLogger creates unnecessary Map objects by calling ThreadContext.getContext()
instead of getImmutableContext(). Thanks to Mikael Ståldal.
> o LOG4J2-1026:  HighlightConverter does not obey noConsoleNoAnsi.
> o LOG4J2-1019:  ZipCompressAction leaves files open until GC when an IO error takes place.
> o LOG4J2-1020:  GzCompressAction leaves files open until GC when an IO error takes place.
> o LOG4J2-1038:  Incorrect documentation for layout default charset. Thanks to Gili.
> o LOG4J2-1042:  Socket and Syslog appenders don't take timeout into account at startup.
Thanks to Guillaume Turri.
> o LOG4J2-934:  Circular suppressed Exception throws StackOverflowError. Thanks to Kenneth
Gendron.
> o LOG4J2-1046:  Circular Exception cause throws StackOverflowError. Thanks to Kenneth
Gendron.
> o LOG4J2-982:  Use System.nanoTime() to measure time intervals. Thanks to Mikhail Mazurskiy.
> o LOG4J2-1045:  Externalize log4j2.xml via URL resource. Thanks to Günter Albrecht.
> o LOG4J2-1058:  Log4jMarker#contains(String) does not respect org.slf4j.Marker contract.
Thanks to Daniel Branzea.
> o LOG4J2-1060:  Log4jMarker#contains(Marker) does not respect org.slf4j.Marker contract.
> o LOG4J2-1061:  Log4jMarker#remove(Marker) does not respect org.slf4j.Marker contract.
> o LOG4J2-1062:  Log4jMarker#add(Marker) does not respect org.slf4j.Marker contract.
> o LOG4J2-1064:  org.apache.logging.slf4j.Log4jMarker does not implement org.slf4j.Marker.equals(Object)
org.slf4j.Marker.hashCode().
> o LOG4J2-889:  Header in layout should not be written on application startup if appending
to an existing file. Fixes LOG4J2-1030. Thanks to Maciej Karaś, Kenneth Leider.
> o LOG4J2-918:  Clarify documentation for combining async with sync loggers.
> o LOG4J2-1078:  GelfLayout throws exception if some log event fields are null. Thanks
to Mikael Ståldal.

> Changes:
> o LOG4J2-1017:  Update Java platform from Java 6 to 7. From this version onwards, log4j
2 requires Java 7.
> o LOG4J2-812:  PatternLayout timestamp formatting performance improvement: replaced synchronized
SimpleDateFormat with
>         Apache Commons FastDateFormat. This and better caching resulted in a ~3-30X faster
timestamp formatting.
> o LOG4J2-1097:  PatternLayout timestamp formatting performance improvement: predefined
date formats (and variants using
>         a period '.' millisecond separator instead of ',') are now formatted ~2-10X faster
than other date formats.
> o LOG4J2-1096:  Improved performance of ParameterizedMessage::getFormattedMessage by
~2X.
> o LOG4J2-1120:  LoggerConfig performance improvements: avoid unnecessary lock acquisition,
use more efficient data structure.
> o LOG4J2-1125:  PatternLayout performance improvement by caching and reusing a ThreadLocal
StringBuilder.
> o LOG4J2-1114:  Add thread name to status logger layout.
> o LOG4J2-1010:  Pass log event when interpolating logger properties.
> o LOG4J2-1044:  Support batchSize in FlumeAvroManager.
> o LOG4J2-1065:  Define org.apache.logging.log4j.Marker.equals(Object) and org.apache.logging.log4j.Marker.hashCode().
> o LOG4J2-1063:  Avoid creating temporary array object in org.apache.logging.slf4j.Log4jMarker.iterator().
> o LOG4J2-890:  log4j-web-2.1 should workaround a bug in JBOSS EAP 6.2. Thanks to Hassan
Kalaldeh, Robert Andersson, Remko Popma.
> o LOG4J2-403:  MongoDB appender, username and password should be optional. Thanks to
Poorna Subhash P, Jeremy Lautman.
> o LOG4J2-1035:  Log4j2 tries to SystemClassLoader when running on Google AppEngine.
> o LOG4J2-1022:  Allow a list of keys to be specified in the MDC pattern converter.
> o LOG4J2-959:  Fix FindBugs DM_DEFAULT_ENCODING bug in SimpleLogger.logMessage() and
simplify code.
> o LOG4J2-1036:  Update Apache Flume from 1.5.2 to 1.6.0.
> o LOG4J2-1041:  Update MongoDB driver from 2.11.2 to 2.13.2.
> o LOG4J2-1018:  Update database tests from H2 1.3.175 to 1.3.176.
> o LOG4J2-1070:  Update Java Mail from 1.5.2 to 1.5.4.
> o LOG4J2-1079:  Update Jackson from 2.5.3 to 2.5.4.
> o LOG4J2-1879:  Update Jackson from 2.5.4 to 2.6.0.
> o LOG4J2-1092:  Update Jackson from 2.6.0 to 2.6.1.
> o LOG4J2-1104:  Update Apache Commons Compress from 1.9 to 1.10.
>
> Removed:
> o Removed experimental interface LevelLogger which got committed to master by mistake.
>
> Tag:https:// <https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=logging-log4j2.git;a=tree;h=380e13cd7ab965942f1d5cfabd73dd056d728b28;hb=383a8194acab4a740d22b69c023ca3af6cb9c664>git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=logging-log4j2.git;a=tree;h=380e13cd7ab965942f1d5cfabd73dd056d728b28;hb=383a8194acab4a740d22b69c023ca3af6cb9c664
<http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=logging-log4j2.git;a=tree;h=380e13cd7ab965942f1d5cfabd73dd056d728b28;hb=383a8194acab4a740d22b69c023ca3af6cb9c664>
or
> a)  for a new copy do "git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/logging-log4j2.git
<https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/logging-log4j2.git>" and then "git checkout