logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Xen <...@dds.nl>
Subject The Range of Levels
Date Thu, 27 Aug 2015 14:36:01 GMT
By the way,

I know that regularly and naturally when you write your own debugging
verbosity code you always use levels of 0 = no logging (or most
important), 1 = a little more verbose, and so on. So 0 might amount to
FATAL and 3 might amount to INFO. But I get the distinct impression from
dealing with and perhaps using also log4j that it is the other way around.

I get the impression, I don't know what from, that TRACE is actually
"lowest" and FATAL is actually "highest". In the code,
"isMoreSpecificThat" obviously deviates from and obviates the need to talk
in high and low, since DEBUG is obviously more specific (if you think
about it even two seconds) than INFO.

Rather, I still have this impression that TRACE is "low" probably also
because in the docs (pdf manual) they are located as such in the tables;
it starts with TRACE and ends with FATAl (from left to right or top to
bottom).

Was this an intended consequence?. It seems also right to call FATAL
"higher". A threshold also seems to indicate a "level that needs to be
surpassed". Such that INFO is naturally "below" FATAL because FATAL goes
"above" the threshold dictated for INFO. This is why it seems so natural
for me to think this way. I also have never dealt with the numeric values
directly.

Was this intended?.

Regards, Bart.