logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Name org.apache.logging.log4j.junit.InitialLoggerContext class
Date Sat, 29 Aug 2015 20:42:59 GMT
I too have found that name a bit confusing. It actually kind of makes me think it is somehow
a subclass of InitialContext.

Either one of your proposed names is fine with me.  I guess I prefer LoggerContextRule simply
because it is slightly shorter and we don’t support any other “Rule” types that I am
aware of.

Ralph

> On Aug 29, 2015, at 12:07 PM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I was going to write a couple of blog posts this weekend about log4j and I was going
to start by talking about how useful our InitialLoggerContext test class is to isolate logging
configs for specific tests, but I find the class name misleading. The class is a JUnit Rule
so it should be postfixed with "Rule" IMO and the "Initial" prefix is just weird, initial
as opposed to what? We have no other LoggerContext JUnit rules. I would not mind renaming
this class to LoggerContextRule. That name is clear and there can be no mistake that this
is not a special kind of LoggerContext. I could even go for LoggerContextJUnitRule to make
it clear that it is for use with JUnit and not in any other kind of code.