logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] EOL for Log4j 1.x
Date Tue, 07 Jul 2015 23:37:05 GMT
I am fine with having a vote also.
It is a good idea to leave a formal electronic trail that we are in agreement on this.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 2015/07/08, at 3:28, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm OK if you want a VOTE, but I do not know that we are required to have one for anything
else but releasing source code.

> Gary
>
>> On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@apache.org>
wrote:
>> This is how Struts 1 was put to rest:
>> http://dev.struts.apache.narkive.com/vAZSFKAf/vote-formally-end-support-for-struts-1
>>
>> And I think, we should follow the example here. I know not many here have worked
on Log4j 1.x but this isn't the point. The thing is that we as a community should clearly
state we have found an agreement, and this is how we usually do it.

>>> On Mon, Jul 6, 2015, at 22:34, Ralph Goers wrote:
>>> Do we really need a formal vote? None of the committers working on Log4j now
ever really committed to Logj 1.x. I know my whole intent when I started working on the logging
project was to focus on version 2.

>>> Ralph

release. Not sure if this is the process, but I guess it would mean we have an agreement.

and I will add something to the websites.

MLs? The site? Or is just having the discussion all that you wanted to have a record that
we at least discussed 1.x EOL?

and we have just failed to say so. Unless we plan to do one final release (which I don’t),
then setting an EOL date in the future doesn’t seem to mean anything to me.  I would just
make an announcement saying that after 3 years of releases of Log4j 2 and 1 year of multiple
GA releases, during which time there have been no releases of Log4j 1.x, that it is time to
acknowledge that Log4j 1.x has reached its end of life and the Log4j community is solely focused
on Log4j 2 development.

take time to work in Bugzilla. Closing Bugzilla will just make some users create Jira tickets
though. It might still be good to have an apache place where users can collect 1.x patches
and discuss 1.x issues that we can still monitor, especially since there is much information
already there. Keeping it read only does not quite fit that bill but i get weary of typing
"not actively maintained". I guess closing might help send a clearer message. I see that Struts
starts at 2.0 in Jira.

to shut down? Seems like yes to me. Rolling file appenders need some tweaks imo and we have
tickets for that.

branch to port it to 2.x last year but I got stalled when it came time to porting our custom
appenders and custom initialization code. It's just too much work. If I had to redo it I would
start with using the 1.2 compatibility jar to get to dealing with our custom bits sooner.
That's what I would advise people to do.

I will
Nobody