logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Ralph Goers (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (LOG4J2-808) RegexFilter does not work properly with RollingFileAppenders
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2014 16:43:53 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-808?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=14120068#comment-14120068
] 

Ralph Goers commented on LOG4J2-808:
------------------------------------

The part you seem to be missing is that filtering on every event does:

If event  matches filter perform onMatch else perform onMismatch. 

They are really simple. When you say "NPE" present that means that that specific event contains
"NPE" and it will perform onMatch (and ignore onMismatch). However, if the event does not
contain "NPE" it will ignore onMatch and perform onMismatch. There is no concept of "NPE"
present somehow meaning that because some event has or will contain "NPE" all events should
perform onMatch only. In fact, there is no way to even know that some event in the future
might contain "NPE".

So in case 2, if the event contains "NPE" then perform onMatch="ACCEPT" (log event). If the
event does not contain "NPE" then perform onMismatch="NEUTRAL" (no other filters event is
logged).  So for two records:
1. "This event contains NPE".
2. "This event contains nothing".
Event 1 is logged because it contains NPE. Event 2 is logged because it does not contain NPE
and onMismatch is NEUTRAL and there are no other filters.

In case 3, if the event contains "XYZ" then perform onMatch="ACCEPT" (log event). If the event
does not contain "XYZ" then perform onMismatch="NEUTRAL" (no other filters event is logged).
 






> RegexFilter does not work properly with RollingFileAppenders 
> -------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: LOG4J2-808
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-808
>             Project: Log4j 2
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: Filters
>    Affects Versions: 2.0-rc1
>            Reporter: Pranav Pratap
>              Labels: newbie
>             Fix For: 2.0-rc1
>
>         Attachments: HelloWorld.java, MainApp.java, log4j2.xml
>
>
> I am trying to use Regexfilter in RollingFileAppender. For 1st matching instance it retreived
the logger, but after that I different patttern but nothing is logged in the file. Here is
what I am using:
> {code}
> Main Class:
> public class MainApp {
>     /** 
>      * @param args
>      */
>      public static void main(String[] args) {
>          // TODO Auto-generated method stub
> 	final Logger logger = LogManager.getLogger(MainApp.class.getName());
> 	
> 	ApplicationContext context = new ClassPathXmlApplicationContext("Beans.xml");
> 		
>         HelloWorld obj = (HelloWorld) context.getBean("helloWorld");
>         logger.trace("NPF:Trace:Entering Log4j2 Example.");
>         logger.debug("NTL:debug Entering Log4j2 Example.");
>         obj.getMessage();	
>         Company comp = new Company();
>         comp.setCompName("ANC");
>         comp.setEstablish(1889);
>      
>         CompanyBusiness compBus =      (CompanyBusiness)context.getBean("compBus");
>         compBus.finaceBusiness(comp.getCompName(), comp.getEstablish());
>         logger.trace("NTL: Trace: Exiting Log4j2 Example.");
>     }
> }
> {code}
> log4j2.xml:
> {code}
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
> <Configuration>
>  	<Appenders>
>              <Console name="STDOUT" target="SYSTEM_OUT">
>                  <PatternLayout pattern="%d{yyyy-MM-dd [%t] HH:mm:ss} %-5p %c{1}:%L
- %m%X%n" />
> 	    </Console>
> 	    <RollingFile name="RollingFile" fileName="C:\logTest\runtime\tla\els3.log"  append="true"
>     	                        filePattern="C:\logTest\runtime\tla\els3-%d{yyyy-MM-dd}-%i.log"
>
>                 <PatternLayout pattern="%d{HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%t] %-5level %logger{36}
- %m%X%n" />
>                 <RegexFilter regex=".*business*." onMatch="ACCEPT" onMismatch="DENY"/>

>                 <Policies>
>                     <SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy size="20 MB" />
>                 </Policies>     	
>             </RollingFile>		
> 	</Appenders>
> 	<Loggers>
> 		<Logger name="com.anc" level="trace"/>	
> 		<Root level="trace"> 
>     		    <AppenderRef ref="STDOUT" /> 
>     		    <AppenderRef ref="RollingFile"/> 
> 		</Root>	
> 	</Loggers>
> </Configuration>
> {code}
> When I ran for the first time, in my logfile I got logs having only "business" related
line. Latter I changed the patter from .*business*. to "business", logging did not happen
in file nor on the console. Also my application terminated without any kind of logging.
> Then I tried to revert back the pattern to .*business*., thereafter no logging happened
on the log file, but on the console all the log trace is printed. When I comment out the Regexfilter
after trying for long time, my logs was printed in the log file.
> I am not sure if this is a bug of Regexfilter works only for one time. Also if we do
not pass any patter matching characters, the application stops without any log printing either
on console or file.



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.3.4#6332)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: log4j-dev-unsubscribe@logging.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: log4j-dev-help@logging.apache.org


Mime
View raw message