logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Idea on how to speed up ClassLoaderContextSelector
Date Sun, 03 Aug 2014 03:05:00 GMT
Thanks for bringing it up here first.

I have a question: is this beneficial for envs like OSGi and web apps, or
are you aiming for a general speedup?
Generally I try to optimize the heck out of things that are called all the
time, but usually don't bother with code that is run only once. That said,
if we can cut the startup time in half or so that would be worth doing. So
I guess it depends on how much of a speedup we gain. (Of course, it if
makes the code simpler, it may be worth doing anyway...)

Completely agree that microbenchmarks are very useful to help us make
decisions based on facts instead of intuition.
(One thing I am learning is that it is worth running benchmarks with one
thread as well as multiple threads, and also to run in multiple OS-es if
possible: that thing with System.currentTimeMillis being so much more
expensive under Linux was a big surprise for me.)