logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <rgo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.0 candidate 1
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2014 11:33:40 GMT
I think we have been making our first impression - we are afraid to ever say it is good enough
and always want the freedom to break compatibility, so don't use our code.

Sent from my iPad

> On Jul 15, 2014, at 4:27 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 6:47 AM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>> About the proposed change for LOG4J2-703/713: I don't see any reason why this fix
can't go in a 2.0.1 or 2.1 release.

>> In general, I think we agree that in any release log4j-core can have changes that
are not binary compatible with previous releases. That is why the api and core modules are
separate: so we are free to make changes to core...

>> To be honest, LOG4J2-703/713 doesn't look like a showstopper, or am I missing something?
>
> My concerns are twofold:
>
> - The Closer API has changed. The is a 'public' API and breaks BC; whether or not we
consider this class as public for the purpose of defining our semantic versifying is a topic
we need to address and document to set expectations for our users. If we say 'classes in package
foo' should not be used by non-log4j-modules, then we are drawn a line in the sand. The fact
that we do not put these classes in an 'internal' package a la Eclipse is a different topic
also.
> - First impressions. It would be nice to address easy bugs before 2.0 goes out; this
seems to be an easy bug. Yes, it could be in 2.0.1 or 2.1 but you only make a first impression
once.

> Gary
>

>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On 2014/07/15, at 19:20, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Note that while 703 is marked as resolved, the user is still having the problem,
so I will re-open it, and I would say another RC is needed to remove 703 from the generated
JIRA report/release notes.

>>> In the meantime, I will attempt another round-trip of fix/test with the user.
>>>
>>> Gary

classes also depends on JNDI so that would bomb too.

out. Especially since splitting classes in two might be the only solution.

"Could not find class 'javax.naming.InitialContext', referenced from method org.apache.logging.log4j.core.lookup.JndiLookup.lookup".

to break BC in a non-major release.

that replace the existing log levels

referenced from method org.apache.logging.log4j.core.lookup.JndiLookup.lookup. Thanks to Nelson
Melina.
Async Loggers.
after pressing "reconfigure with XML below".
AsyncLoggerContext objects created by web app classloaders have unique names.

in the pom. Thanks to Philip Helger.
do not work. Thanks to Scott Harrington.
PatternLayout).
to closeSilently().

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachelogging-1004/org/apache/logging/log4j/