logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.0-rc2 candidate 1
Date Sun, 22 Jun 2014 00:21:43 GMT
Please note that the artifacts can be downloaded by doing:

wget -e robots=off --cut-dirs=3 -r -p -np --no-check-certificate https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachelogging-1003

Ralph

On Jun 21, 2014, at 5:19 PM, Ralph Goers <Ralph.Goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> This is a vote to release Log4j 2.0-rc2, which will hopefully be the last release candidate.

> Please note that I did not add the new logo to the web site. I will add that after the
release.

> Please test and cast your votes.
> [] +1, release the artifacts
> [] -1, don't release becauseā€¦
>
> The vote will remain open for 72 hours (or more if required).
>

> New features:
> o LOG4J2-675:  RollingFile and RollingRandomAccessFile now write the layout footer before
rollover.
> o LOG4J2-674:  Made RollingFileAppender buffer size configurable.
> o LOG4J2-42:  Create an appender to route log events to the ServletContext log.
> o LOG4J2-655:  Add Vagrantfile for testing in GNU+Linux.
> o LOG4J2-654:  Add log4j-perf module to provide a home for all log4j performance tests.
>         Add support for JMH microbenchmark performance tests.
> o LOG4J2-652:  Add support for default plugin values and attributes.
> o LOG4J2-598:  Add support for types other than String for plugin factory values/attributes.

> o LOG4J2-644:  Implement a SecureSocketAppender and secure server (SSL/TLS).
> o LOG4J2-629:  Document the system properties used in Log4J 2.
> o LOG4J2-595:  Introduce Java annotation processor as alternative plugin pre-caching
mechanism. This is available in the
>           log4j-plugin-processor module.
> o LOG4J2-576:  Add org.apache.logging.log4j.Logger.getLevel().
> o LOG4J2-439:  Add EncodingPatternConverter to escape newlines and HTML special characters.
Thanks to Bruce Brouwer.
> o LOG4J2-427:  Add support for configuration via YAML. Thanks to Alexander Reelsen.
>
> Fixed Bugs:
> o LOG4J2-581:  RollingRandomAccessFile now writes the layout header after rollover. Thanks
to Alexander Khokhlov.
> o LOG4J2-622:  RollingFileManager now correctly honours the bufferedIO configuration
after rollover. Thanks to Farooq Khan.
> o LOG4J2-141:  Improved documentation regarding log4j status logger. Thanks to Joern
Huxhorn.
> o LOG4J2-539:  Fixed issue with "Reconfigure using XML below" function in JMX Client
GUI.
>         ConfigurationSource is now a top-level class and can be obtained with Configuration.getConfigurationSource().
>         LoggerContext.getConfiguration().getConfigurationSource()
>         provides a reliable public method for obtaining a logger context's configuration
location and content. Thanks to Colin Froggatt.
> o LOG4J2-619:  Invalid XML configuration files do not prevent the config file from being
checked again. Thanks to Scott Harrington.
> o LOG4J2-637:  JMX: Updating a Logger's level via jConsole now correctly takes effect.
Thanks to Mansoor Sajjad, Jon Wilmoth.
> o LOG4J2-668:  Correctly process log events when combining AsyncLoggers with AsyncAppender.

> o LOG4J2-669:  Prevent NPE when combining AsyncLoggers with AsyncLoggerConfigs.
> o LOG4J2-563:  FlumeAvroManager now always uses a client type of default_failover. Thanks
to Michael Friedmann.
> o LOG4J2-535:  Reset rollover time when size rollover is triggered.
> o LOG4J2-664:  Moved plugin cache file to META-INF for OSGi compatibility.
> o LOG4J2-640:  Fix NPE that can be caused by a null ThreadContextClassLoader.
> o LOG4J2-651:  Log4j 2 throws ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException.
> o LOG4J2-620:  Perform reconfiguration in a separate thread to prevent deadlocks.
> o LOG4J2-639:  Prevent NPE in AsyncLogger and AsyncLoggerConfig if logger is used after
log4j has been shut down. Thanks to Mck SembWever.
> o LOG4J2-469:  FailoverAppender was not resetting its status after the primary appender
recovered.
> o LOG4J2-623:  Generate MDC properties as a JSON map in JSONLayout.
> o LOG4J2-520:  Resolved issue where AsyncAppender dropped events if queue still contained
>         events when application is stopped. Thanks to JavaTech, Andre Bogus.
> o LOG4J2-392:  Resolved a problem with the previous solution for LOG4J2-392 that resulted
in dropped events
>         when using AsyncLoggerConfig with slow appenders when application is stopped.
Thanks to Andre Bogus.
> o LOG4J2-613:  The OSGi version of log4j-web imports Servlet 2.5 at minimum instead of
3.0.
> o LOG4J2-602:  Unit tests are now less verbose during the build process.
> o LOG4J2-570:  Fix shutdown thread memory leak in servlet containers.
> o LOG4J2-542:  Make Throwable transient in ThrowableProxy.
> o LOG4J2-440:  During shutdown, a NullPointerException could be thrown due to the NullConfiguration
class no longer being
>         available to the ClassLoader.
> o LOG4J2-346:  Cyclic dependency with log4j-slf4j-impl in OSGi.
> o LOG4J2-345:  The log4j-1.2-api module didn't export any packages to OSGi.
> o LOG4J2-605:  Password data from the NoSQL plugins no longer shows up in cleartext in
debug logging.
> o LOG4J2-448:  A StringIndexOutOfBounds exception could occur during property substitution.
Thanks to X86core.
> o LOG4J2-597:  StatusLogger was not skipping multiple instances of the FQCN class, causing
messages from classes in
>         the Verbose list to be printed.
> o LOG4J2-564:  Renamed SLF4J logger class to Log4jLogger.
> o LOG4J2-579:  Rework Level comparison APIs.
> o LOG4J2-560:  SyslogAppenderTest and RFC5424LayoutTest were failing in Java 8.
> o LOG4J2-499:  Add equals and hashcode to Log4jLogEvent.
> o LOG4J2-378:  Add DateLookup and ThreadContextLookup to default lookups.
>
> Changes:
> o LOG4J2-419:  Support default value for missing key in look ups with fallbacking to
looking in the properties map. Thanks to Woonsan Ko.
> o LOG4J2-554:  Allow configuration files to be located as Servlet Context resources.

> o LOG4J2-250:  Refactor Log4jLogEvent to lazily create ThrowableProxy.
> o LOG4J2-647:  Upgrade to Flume 1.5.0.
> o LOG4J2-646:  Merge the TLS Syslog appender into the Syslog appender.
> o LOG4J2-641:  Override commons-logging dependency version in tests.
> o LOG4J2-566:  Made RollingRandomAccessFileAppender buffer size configurable. Thanks
to Luigi Alice.
> o LOG4J2-628:  Use Clock to generate all log event timestamps, not just for Async Loggers.

> o LOG4J2-617:  Update SLF4J to 1.7.7.
> o LOG4J2-616:  Update Jackson to 2.3.3.
> o LOG4J2-585:  Add support for multiple parents to Markers. Thanks to Bruce Brouwer.

> o LOG4J2-574:  Make Blocking the default WaitStrategy for Async Loggers.
> o LOG4J2-555:  Introduce ExtendedLogger interface to facilitate implementing and extending
Loggers. Thanks to Bruce Brouwer.