logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next Release
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2014 23:37:52 GMT
I think we are actually missing out on a lot of community feedback by not releasing 2.0. Many
people are waiting...

If we want to make this release an RC release instead of GA, I can live with that, but then
we should do our utmost to make the next release GA.

If we want to avoid branching, then let's agree to only commit bug fixes, and no new features/refactoring
to trunk until after GA.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone

> On 2014/06/19, at 23:19, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It feels to early to create busy work to branch IMO. We should do RC2 first and get feedback
first IMO.

> Gary
>

>> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 10:09 AM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I agree with Remko on the branching idea. Yes, it would make sense to make RC2 and
if that is sufficiently stable, tag it as 2.0 GA. When we do RC2, it should be copied to branches/2.0
or similar. Then we can continue work for 2.1 in trunk.

>> Bug fixes for 2.0 should be done on the 2.0 branch and merged to trunk. I think that
works rather well usually.

>>> On 19 June 2014 08:25, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Personally I would like to release a GA as soon as possible. I remember that
in spring of 2013 we were talking about releasing GA that summer, so we've missed that goal
by a year already! I agree with Ralph that I think the code is ready.

>>> If many people want to release an RC2 first in order to confirm the stability
before releasing the GA, then I would agree with that, but that would only make sense if we
can also agree not to make changes that would require yet another RC...

>>> I would propose that with RC2 we do a feature freeze. We create a "2.0-release"
branch (or something like that, any name is fine), and we only commit bug fixes to that branch.
After say, one month (what would be a reasonable time?) we release GA from that branch.

>>> Meanwhile, development for new features, refactoring etc continues on trunk.
Of course any bug fix committed to the 2.0-release branch also needs to be merged into trunk.

>>> Perhaps one of the reasons we've not been able to do the 2.0 release earlier
is that currently there is only one branch, trunk, where both bug fixes and new development
happens, which makes it hard to say that "now we have something that is stable enough to release".

>>> We could also do this the other way around, make trunk the release branch, and
create a "2.1" (or something) branch for new development, that would work too. The point is,
we want to be able to add new features and refactor on the one hand, and on the other hand
we want to stabilize the code for the GA release, and I think separate branches will help
us accomplish that.

>>> Remko

RC 1 that feedback and community testing are needed. If things are stable with RC 2 then we
can release. There also one non trivial issue/feature I'll ask about ASAP on the ML.

only thing I am wondering is with all the changes that have been made from rc1 what risk there
is with this release being GA.  I suppose one possibility would be to release rc2 and then
do GA after just a few weeks.