logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: PluginAttribute choice
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2014 13:57:21 GMT
I would not be in favor of forcing users to have an extra dependency. They should be able to
use log4j with just the core and api jars.

Making life a little easier for us is not a compelling reason to add a dependency on an xml
library IMO.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 2014/06/02, at 22:48, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Jackson is how we handle YAML and JSON configs anyways. It might be worth looking into
for 2.1.

>> On 2 June 2014 08:19, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not trying to handle all cases under the sun. But... we've chosen NOT to use
an XML Schema based XML IO framework (like JAXB or Jackson), instead we've invented our own.
I know we do JSON as well, but so does Jackson and it likely also has a plugin for YAML. So
now, every time I'm looking for some minor improvement, it means tweaking our custom framework
or adding boilerplate code to plugins. It's a pain, but that's where we are today. At least
now, with the new type converters, I get the type conversion from to int for free :-)

>> In this case, I meant, you can only use attribute A or B.
>>
>> It is probably worth stepping back and looking at the big picture and whether we
want to invest in improving the current config IO framework or at least consider if Jackson
would be a better fit. Likely not for 2.0 ;-)

>> Gary
>>

>>> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 4:03 AM, Ralph Goers <rgoers@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Are you looking for annotations to handle every kind of thing you might like
to do instead of just putting a couple lines of code in the factory method? I would have handled
this by saying foo and bar both need to be Integer and then adding a line do code that insures
exactly one, or at most one, is present ( depending on what you want ).

>>> I really have no idea what it means for an attribute or element to be in a "choice".
Does it mean at most one is specified or exactly one? What if I want exactly one in some cases
and at most one in others?

>>> Ralph

I want the config framework to do the validation for me.