logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Refactor Log4jLogEvent to lazily create ThrowableProxy
Date Mon, 19 May 2014 22:45:19 GMT
On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 11:42 PM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com>wrote:

> Related thoughts and issues:
>
> That means the proxy cannot be final and that the event needs to track
> both the proxy AND the throwable...

That is correct. That is how it is done in RingBufferLogEvent.

> Note that there are cases where events are non-local, that is, when they
> are deserialized from another class loader or another JVM (from a
> Serialized object , XML or JSON; or whatever Jackson can handle, BSON for
> example?).

Understood. In fact, there are only two use cases for ThrowableProxy that I
am aware of: serialization and when certain patterns are used in the
PatternLayout. Details are in the Jira.

> I think what we want is what we have now: to have the event built from a
> local throwable or from a remote throwable proxy. Then all internal use of
> the event should with the get proxy API because the throwable may be null.
> So that's another thing to check. What even APIs do we use internally...

My point is that currently we always construct a ThrowableProxy if the
throwable is non-null even though chances are it is never used. Just
looking at the code, constructing a ThrowableProxy is expensive. We should
only pay that cost when necessary.