logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: JMH for log4j microbenchmarks
Date Sun, 25 May 2014 13:49:54 GMT
I am surprised too. I only can see in one eye and I have to keep my head facing the ground
most of the time but I can still use my iPad and phone.

Mvn site does not build the distribution. I am actually at the dr to get my bandage off but
I will check when I get home what you need to run but I think it might be mvn -P release install

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 25, 2014, at 6:43 AM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ralph, thank you for your feedback.
> (I am actually surprised to hear from you, I thought you'd be out of commission for a
while. Glad you're feeling well so quickly, but be careful not to overdo it.)

> I've added the log4j-perf module. Initially this has just one microbenchmark test.
>
> How do I verify that the microbenchmarks.jar does not get included in the distribution?
> Just run "mvn site"?
>

>> On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Ralph Goers <rgoers@apache.org> wrote:
>> This is a very good idea.  You really don't have a lot to worry about. ASF projects
can use GPL tools to build or do things like you are suggesting. However, we can't ship things
that are under the GPL and should not commit them to svn. From what you are describing I don't
think we would be doing that.

>> The log4j-dist module controls what is included in the release. As I recall it is
already excluding some things so this be easy to do. However, the release zips the whole source
tree, so as long as there is nothing GPL there we are good.

>> Fwiw, my surgery is done. I am at home and feeling ok, under the circumstances.
I can only see from one eye right now so please excuse mistakes.

>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>>> On May 24, 2014, at 10:42 AM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been using JMH (http://openjdk.java.net/projects/code-tools/jmh/ ) for performance
tests recently and I'm very impressed. JMH is developed by the Oracle java performance team
and used internally by Oracle to performance tune the JVM and java core libraries.

>>> I would like to use JMH to start building a suite of performance tests for log4j2.
I would like everyone's thoughts. First, do you like this idea at all?

>>> Also, there is one legal and one technical aspect that I would like everyone's
feedback on.

>>> A potential legal problem is that JMH is made available under GNU GPL v2 with
the Classpath Exception, and our Apache License v2 is not compatible with GPL v2 (see http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#GPL
).

>>> To solve this, I want to avoid distributing JMH or our executable microbenchmarks
 (which would have the JMH classes) with our log4j artifacts. I just want our team (and whoever
checks out the log4j source) to be able to use JMH to genyerate and run benchmarks when they
want to.

>>> I'm not a lawyer though. Does anyone have experience with this kind of question?
>>>
>>> The technical aspect:
>>> I propose adding a log4j-perf module. This is where our performance test code
would live. JMH microbenchmarks are very simple java classes with org.openjdk.jmh annotations.
During the build, JMH generates code and that generated code, together with all dependencies
are zipped up in a large uber-jar with the maven Shade plugin. You can then use java -jar
microbenchmarks.jar to run performance tests.

>>> To ensure that the log4j-perf artifacts are not included in the log4j2 distribution,
we could simply leave out the "<module>log4j-perf</module>" line from log4j2/pom.xml.
The drawback is that you'd need to manually add that line and build again if you want to execute
microbenchmarks to test something that only exists in your workspace. Is there a better way,
to somehow include the log4j-perf module in the build, but exclude its artifacts from the
log4j2 distribution?