logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [proposal] import guidelines
Date Sun, 18 May 2014 22:22:22 GMT
static imports should come after all other imports.

Ralph

On May 18, 2014, at 1:46 PM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:

> So do static imports ALL come before normal imports or are they together with imports
for their group (org, com, and so on)?

> IOW:
>
> Like this:
>
> import static org.junit.Assert.assertNotNull;
> import static org.junit.Assert.assertTrue;
>
> import java.util.List;
> import java.util.Map;
>
> import org.apache.logging.log4j.LogManager;
> import org.apache.logging.log4j.Logger;
> import org.apache.logging.log4j.LoggingException;
>
> or like that:
>
> import java.util.List;
> import java.util.Map;
>
> import static org.junit.Assert.assertNotNull;
> import static org.junit.Assert.assertTrue;
>
> import org.apache.logging.log4j.LogManager;
> import org.apache.logging.log4j.Logger;
> import org.apache.logging.log4j.LoggingException;
>
> Gary
>

> On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 5:15 AM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding static imports, I propose that we:
> 1) only use them in test classes
> 2) always use wildcard static imports
>
> That would match our current usage almost perfectly. We now have a total of 431 static
imports in the project.

> // NON-TEST class: remove static import & use qualified name here?
> PluginProcessor:
> 41: import static javax.tools.Diagnostic.Kind.ERROR;
> 42: import static javax.tools.StandardLocation.CLASS_OUTPUT;
>
> // all other static imports are in test classes:
>
> org.junit.Assert.*
> org.hamcrest.CoreMatchers.* // fluent interface would no longer be fluent without static
imports
> org.easymock.EasyMock.* // similar to org.junit.Assert.* IMHO
>
> in LevelTest:
> import static org.apache.logging.log4j.Level.*; // I would keep this static import:
> The test wants to do things like "Level[] levels = new Level[] { TRACE, DEBUG, INFO,
WARN, ERROR, FATAL };"
> this is short and clean. I don't see a need to remove the static import, especially in
the context of this being a test class for Levels.

> On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 1:46 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Here is what I have in Intellij - http://imgur.com/wU4Y3wO. I agree with Remko that we
should make an exception for org.junit.Assert.*

> Ralph
>
> On May 16, 2014, at 2:53 PM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I import most general (java, javax) to most specific (com) with org in between. I
think this is the eclipse default.

>> I want guidelines that eclipse can sort automatically.  This way there is no time
wasting with manual fiddling.

>> Gary

the top import priority. For you guys, it would be "org.apache.logging.log4j". What I like
so much about this choice is that it makes eye-balling the use of your own classes very apparent.