logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Splitting off NoSQL to its own module.
Date Mon, 05 May 2014 21:26:06 GMT
If your intention is to contribute it to the ASF then check out log4j2 and add the new classes
into the NoSQL project.  If you are intending to keep it for yourself then create a standalone
project that has dependencies on log4j-nosql, log4j-core and log4j-api and make sure you are
using package names that match your organization. If you try to reuse an org.apache.logging
package name in your own project you are likely to have problems.

Ralph

On May 5, 2014, at 1:38 PM, log4j@markus-klose.de wrote:

> I meant it the other way around. Is it possible to develop additional nosql stuff in
an external project?

of that project, not a separate project.

> Ralph
>
> On May 5, 2014, at 9:49 AM, log4j@markus-klose.de wrote:
>
>> Do I understand the process right?  At compile time of log4j-nosql all nosql based
appender must be known? Does it mean that I never could implement a new appender if I do not
have the sources?

is compiled, the Log4j2plugins.dat file is created by an annotation processor. In a typical
environment, the classpath is scanned for all the resource files with the correct name and
path. Are you getting any relevant status log output for the plugins?

>> On 5 May 2014 10:15, Markus Klose <log4j@markus-klose.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> since you moved the nosql appender into a separate module some of my other test are
failing.

>> I have a test that reads a log4j.xml, getting a specific logger and getting all appenders
of that specific logger.
>> but now this test does not have any (nosql) appender anymore
>>

>> in my output i have seen the following line
>> 2014-05-05 17:02:38,127 DEBUG Found Plugin Map at file:/C:/Users/mk/git/logging-log4j2/log4j-core/target/classes/org/apache/logging/log4j/core/config/plugins/Log4j2Plugins.dat
>>
>> Log4j2Plugins.dat does not contain any nosql stuff.
>> Could this file be realted to my problem? Do i need to change the log4j.xml to cache
that appender as well?

>> below you will find the log4j.xml I am using.
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> <Configuration status="DEBUG">
>>   <Appenders>
>>     <Console name="Console" target="SYSTEM_OUT">
>>       <PatternLayout pattern="%d{HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%t] %-5level %logger{36} - %msg%n"/>

>>     </Console>
>>
>>      <NoSql name="HttpSolrServerAppender">
>>         <Solr url="http://localhost:8983/solr" commitWithinMs="1000"/>
>>      </NoSql>
>>
>>     <NoSql name="databaseAppender">
>>         <MongoDb collectionName="applicationLog" factoryClassName="org.example.db.ConnectionFactory"

>>             factoryMethodName="getNewMongoClient" />
>>     </NoSql>
>>
>>   </Appenders>
>>   <Loggers>
>>     <Root level="DEBUG">
>>       <AppenderRef ref="Console" level="DEBUG"/>
>>     </Root>
>>     <Logger name="HttpSolrServer" level="DEBUG">
>>         <AppenderRef ref="HttpSolrServerAppender"/>
>>         <AppenderRef ref="databaseAppender"/>
>>     </Logger>
>>   </Loggers>
>> </Configuration>
>>

>>> Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> hat am 4. Mai 2014 um 18:38 geschrieben:

>>> Good point. I'm renaming it to org.apache.logging.log4j.nosql.appender. Committed
in r1592377.

>>> On 4 May 2014 03:07, Markus Klose <log4j@markus-klose.de> wrote:
>>> does it makes sense to refactorr the package wihtin the module "log4-nosql"
as well

>>> actually the package is still "org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender" but its
not core anymore

>>> Markus

code into a module called "log4j-nosql". This is where the Mongo and Couch plugins are right
now, and it looks like we'll be adding a Solr one soon most likely along with that Gora one.

until just now. All tests still pass, so I'm going to commit it. If there are any objections,
I can roll back this commit.