logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <rgo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Package org.apache.logging.log4j.core.helpers.lang
Date Tue, 13 May 2014 13:38:02 GMT
Yes.

Sent from my iPad

> On May 13, 2014, at 6:25 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Collapse is OK w me. Should we Javadoc all the helpers as private?
>
> Gary
>

>> On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That lang package was me. It's fine to collapse them; I was just thinking of doing
some categorization with the helpers package. I called it lang because that's where ClassLoader
is. :)

>>> On Tuesday, 13 May 2014, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>> I prefer to move all classes into the helpers directory and get rid of lang.
 Why ResourceLoaders deserve to be placed in a “lang” package doesn’t make a lot of
sense to me - they could just as easily have been placed into a package called util.  I just
didn’t notice when the lang subproject was created or I would have said something then.

>>> However, I am beginning to think we are spending an inordinate amount of time
moving stuff from one package to another and renaming classes and variables. Frequently I
find that what one person considers a “better” name is just busy work and doesn’t really
improve anything, and sometimes makes things worse (again, I think LoggerProvider is a horrible
name). If our variables were all named x, y and z that would be one thing, but IMO changing
an abbreviated name to one that is fully spelled out accomplishes nothing.

>>> OTOH, I don’t mind refactoring that simplifies long classes or methods as those
make the code easier to understand and can reduce the likelihood of bugs.