logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Split off OSGi?
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2014 15:43:32 GMT
I would propose that we do the same thing I suggested with the Stream support - move it to
a branch until it is ready.  Ideally the branch should only have what is needed for OSGi and
not all of Log4j.  Also, I have no problems making changes such as moving classes around in
support of OSGi, just not adding more jars.

I am wondering if it wouldn’t be a good idea to have two log4j projects - one for the kernel,
which would include all of the “fundamental” appenders, layouts, filters, etc, and a second
for things like the Flume Appender, NoSQL Appenders, etc.

I’m worried that we are starting to throw too much into the main project, but I don’t
want to stop development that helps people integrate with other things.

Ralph

On Apr 9, 2014, at 8:06 AM, Paul Benedict <pbenedict@apache.org> wrote:

> The great thing about open source is that someone can republish the code as smaller artifacts,
if they choose. I don't think log4j should pick up this slack unless someone's experiment
proves extremely beneficial. We can always backport someone's good ideas once proven. :-)
I will take a wait-and-see approach and leave it to the module experts to prove their idea.

> On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 10:02 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
> The benefit of not having all of these OSGi modules is that it makes Log4J "lighter"
and more approachable.

> Gary
>

> On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Paul Benedict <pbenedict@apache.org> wrote:
> Resist splitting things up unless there's a clear distinguishing benefit.
>

> On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 8:03 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Today some people want to slice and dice log4j 2 into ever finer OSGI bundles. Tomorrow,
people will want to do the same with whatever Oracle comes up with in project Jigsaw. Some
people don't care for OSGi support.

> This is bound to be a big mess.
>
> Therefore I'd like to propose to split off OSGi and later Jigsaw into a separate project(s).
This way people who care about OSGi can do all that they need without polluting the main log4j
project with dozens of Maven modules.