logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Maven build improvements & osgi stuff
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2014 04:26:49 GMT
There is a balance that needs to be struck here.  We don’t want to add support for OSGi at
the cost of forcing non-OSGi users to have to include a bunch of Log4j dependencies.  That
said, I suggest the other day that we might want to split some things that a majority of our
users will rarely use into other modules, possible in a companion project to the Log4j kernel.

We actually have a few dependencies, such as Jackson, the disruptor, and JMX that are optional
but really can’t be separated from the core.

That said, an analysis of what could be separated is warranted.

Ralph

On Apr 11, 2014, at 3:40 PM, Łukasz Dywicki <luke@code-house.org> wrote:

> Hey all,
> Apachecon has been ended so I am following the promise I did - I’ve taken a look on
the log4j build to check what’s going on with OSGi stuff. Currently OSGi bundles are split
from main log4j-core which I think leads to maintanance trouble also number of dependencies
of log4j-core seems to be very high. If we could split the log4j-core into smaller modules
(mongodb, jms, jmx, web) then there will be no need to keep log4j-osgi and it’s submodules.
> According to maven guides [1] "Optional dependencies are used when it's not really possible
(for whatever reason) to split a project up into sub-modules”, I think it will also make
library design much more clear and will avoid making unecessary inner code deps. Seems that
big, aggregate modules, are always grow to size which require major work to split them to
make both: maintanance and community involvement possible.