logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: core.impl.Log4jLogEvent.LogEventProxy
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2014 14:21:14 GMT
Jackson will do both the JSON and XML if you want.  If you can manage to use the Proxy I think
that would be better.

Ralph

On Mar 31, 2014, at 7:04 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 2:36 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Out of curiosity, why does implementing an XML socket server require touching the LogEvent?
 What are XMLLogEventInput and JSONLogEventInput going to do that would require that?

> My current working implementation uses JAXB annotations on Log4jLogEvent, no need to
deal with messy DOM nonsense. The XML layout can then be a one liner: JAXB.marshal(logEvent,
result). Right now the socket server ends up also with a one liner to convert from XML to
a Log4jLogEvent.

> But I could do it in the existing "proxy" log event instead or a new XML proxy instead
of in Log4jLogEvent. I'm not sure why we'd want to create an extra object. So I am asking...

> Gary
>
> Ralph
>
> On Mar 30, 2014, at 8:04 PM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As I am working on LOG4J2-583 I ran into core.impl.Log4jLogEvent.LogEventProxy.
>>
>> - LogEventProxy is used to move events across threads internally
>> - A real Log4jLogEvent is used in the SerializedLayout.
>>
>> Why the different?
>>
>> As you answer, if you can avoid committing to Log4jLogEvent that would be great as
I currently have pending changes there related to LOG4J2-583.

>> I am wondering if SerializedLayout should use LogEventProxy or if LogEventProxy is
a leftover from old development.