logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Williams <nicho...@nicholaswilliams.net>
Subject Re: Can we roll RC1 tonight?
Date Sat, 08 Feb 2014 19:11:48 GMT

On Feb 8, 2014, at 1:06 PM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> Nick,
>
> i totally feel your pain. Releasing is always evil, i never experienced it otherwise
in what ever project.

> On 8 Feb 2014, at 19:56, Nick Williams wrote:
>> Well, after wasting a couple hours, it turns out I do NOT have the power to roll
a release. I got a "401 Unauthorized" error when it tried to deploy to the staging repository.
I can log in to that repository in my browser, but I must not have deploy permissions. Fail.

> I am not sure if you need extra permissions honestly.
>

>> I have reverted the automatic changes to trunk. It seems I can't delete a tag: "DAV
request failed: 411 Content length required. The server or an intermediate proxy does not
accept chunked encoding. Try setting 'http-chunked-requests' to 'auto' or 'no' in your client
configuration."

>> I need someone to:
>>
>> - Delete the rc1 tag, please.
>
> OK, so just confirming you want me to do:
>
> svn delete https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/log4j2/tags/log4j-2.0-rc1/
>
> Right?

Correct. Please delete that.

>> - Either give me permissions to roll a release, or just do it for me. I've already
run steps 1-5. The release notes have been committed.

> I would prefer to give you the permissions, if there are any to give.
> I will look around, maybe i find a hint.

Some Googling reveals that I need to edit ~/.m2/settings.xml and add my repository username
and password to it. Why it can't just PROMPT me for my username and password is beyond me.
I'll update the wiki with more info after all of this. Just delete that tag and I'll make
another attempt.

Nick

> Cheers
> Christian
>

>> Nick
>>
>> On Feb 8, 2014, at 12:13 PM, Nick Williams wrote:
>>
>>> Christian was right. The distribution POM was still referring to log4j-core-osgi-nosql-mongo
and log4j-core-osgi-nosql-couch. I've fixed that. Continuing the release...

to set they version.  I have never gotten messages like below when releasing.

me to have to revert a bunch of staged changes):

Could not resolve dependencies for project org.apache.logging.log4j:log4j-distribution:pom:2.0-rc1:
The following artifacts could not be resolved: org.apache.logging.log4j.osgi:log4j-core-osgi-nosql-couch:jar:2.0-rc1,
org.apache.logging.log4j.osgi:log4j-core-osgi-nosql-mongo:jar:2.0-rc1: Could not find artifact
org.apache.logging.log4j.osgi:log4j-core-osgi-nosql-couch:jar:2.0-rc1 in oracleReleases (http://download.oracle.com/maven)
-> [Help 1]

I'm not sure I responded to them all correctly. Can anyone tell me what I should do next?

Dependencies 2:Plugins 3:Reports 4:Extensions ): (0/1/2/3) 1: : 1
is a snapshot (2.0-rc1-SNAPSHOT)
:
is a snapshot (2.0-rc1-SNAPSHOT)
:
2.0-rc1: :
2.0-rc1: :
2.0-rc1: :
2.0-rc1: :
2.0-rc1: :
(org.apache.logging.log4j:log4j-1.2-api) 2.0-rc1: :
(org.apache.logging.log4j.osgi:log4j-1.2-osgi-api) 2.0-rc1: :
2.0-rc1: :
2.0-rc1: :
2.0-rc1: :
2.0-rc1: :
2.0-rc1: :
2.0-rc1: :
2.0-rc1: :
(org.apache.logging.log4j:log4j-jcl) 2.0-rc1: :
2.0-rc1: :
2.0-rc1: :
2.0-rc1: :
2.0-rc1: :
(org.apache.logging.log4j.samples:log4j-samples-flume-common) 2.0-rc1: :
(org.apache.logging.log4j.samples:log4j-samples-flume-remote) 2.0-rc1: :
(org.apache.logging.log4j.samples:log4j-samples-flume-embedded) 2.0-rc1: :
2.0-rc1: :
log4j-2.0-rc1: :
2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT: :
2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT: :
2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT: :
(org.apache.logging.log4j.osgi:log4j-core-osgi-async) 2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT: :
(org.apache.logging.log4j.osgi:log4j-core-osgi-jpa) 2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT: :
API"? (org.apache.logging.log4j:log4j-1.2-api) 2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT: :
Bundle"? (org.apache.logging.log4j.osgi:log4j-1.2-osgi-api) 2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT: :
(org.apache.logging.log4j.osgi:log4j-core-osgi-net) 2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT: :
(org.apache.logging.log4j.osgi:log4j-core-osgi-nosql-couchdb) 2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT: :
(org.apache.logging.log4j.osgi:log4j-core-osgi-nosql-mongodb) 2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT: :
2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT: :
(org.apache.logging.log4j.osgi:log4j-osgi) 2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT: :
(org.apache.logging.log4j:log4j-slf4j-impl) 2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT: :
(org.apache.logging.log4j:log4j-to-slf4j) 2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT: :
Bridge"? (org.apache.logging.log4j:log4j-jcl) 2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT: :
(org.apache.logging.log4j:log4j-flume-ng) 2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT: :
2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT: :
2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT: :
2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT: :
- Common"? (org.apache.logging.log4j.samples:log4j-samples-flume-common) 2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT:
:
- Remote"? (org.apache.logging.log4j.samples:log4j-samples-flume-remote) 2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT:
:
- Embedded"? (org.apache.logging.log4j.samples:log4j-samples-flume-embedded) 2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT:
:
2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT: :

property. *mental note to fix this*

file Maven re-creates it, but beta9 is still at the top. rc1 is nowhere to be found. If someone
could point out to me how to tell Maven to generate release notes for rc1, that would be great.
Google is useless because it removes the hyphen from the Maven command, so my only search
results are release notes for Maven.

contest had ended and to subscribe to the user mailing list for voting instructions. This
is vague enough since we don't yet know how voting will commence.

I have started the release process for 2.0-rc1. Please stand by.

pneumonia. Just make sure to update the release notes to highlight the break in binary compatibility.

an error prone process. I've not done it for Log4j but it will be a good exercise. Each project
usually has it's own BUILDING.txt or Wiki with more or less detailed instructions, scripts,
and so on. I've done it for Commons and HttpComponenent, it's not exactly something I'd call
'fun'.

can. Do I have the necessary karma? I thought only PMC members could?

fine by me.

agreed that there are no showstoppers. I've fixed a whole bunch of appender-related bugs,
and there's no issue with the Servlet 3.0 auto-initialization. Can someone kick that off so
that we can have a vote this weekend and get this out there ASAP? I'd love to be able to roll
rc2 (if necessary) or GA within two weeks.