logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Enums and Custom Levels - completed.
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2014 01:55:50 GMT
I think I must be misunderstanding the part about “If those levels were added…”.  I don’t
understand how a level can be added to a class from the config such that it is usable by a
programmer at compile time.

Ralph

On Jan 26, 2014, at 5:24 PM, Scott Deboy <scott.deboy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Couldn't we no-op instead of throw if the same identical level were registered?
>
> If those levels were then added to the same custom level class from the config, could
we use that single class in the logger calls?
> On Jan 26, 2014 5:15 PM, "Ralph Goers" <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> I am certain I could create a LevelPlugin that would allow you to define one or more
Levels in the configuration, but to use that Level the user would have to code:

> logger.log(Level.toLevel(“DIAG”), “hello world”);
>
> In order to directly reference the level it has to be declared as a static from somewhere
and it can only be instantiated a single time, so creating it from the configuration will
prevent that.

> Ralph
>
> On Jan 26, 2014, at 4:03 PM, Scott Deboy <scott.deboy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have one goal: to remove my request for new built in levels by allowing the levels
to be defined strictly via configuration. I agree there may be some hurdles but that's my
goal.