logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next release of 2.0
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2014 16:26:12 GMT
I'm not sure what policy WRT binary and source compatibility we have in
log4j 1 and 2. Over in Commons, if you break BC, in general, that means a
package name change and a Maven name change, for example from
o.a.commons.lang to lang3. This is using the Clirr report to check for
errors. There are exceptions of course, usually if a public API changes but
it is considered part of the implementation and not what a call site should
use.

Gary

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 12:19 AM, Scott Deboy <scott.deboy@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it makes sense to go through the existing bugs and find ones we
> feel are critical and squash them before a final 2.0.
>
> Gary's right in the sense that adoption as a non beta means we will feel
> resistance to significant changes.
>
> Maybe we should make it clear that Api changes may appear in 2.1 but not
> 2.0.x?
> On Jan 2, 2014 7:23 PM, "Gary Gregory" <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 10:15 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Frankly, Gary, I don't understand the hesitation.
>>> We started talking about a 2.0 GA release six months ago. Surely that
>>> should have been enough time to familiarize yourself with the APIs and
>>> raise any concerns.
>>>
>>> I understand that the 2.0 release is a big step but I also agree with
>>> Christian that if unforeseen issues come up we can address them in upcoming
>>> releases. (And if we find we've made a terrible mistake and need an API
>>> change, then so be it...)
>>>
>>> How about everyone marks outstanding Jira tickets that they really want
>>> to address before the 2.0 release (with the issue target version), and
>>> release the 2.0 GA when these are all fixed?
>>>

>> Hey, it's a volunteer community process, and we all have our opinions ;)
>> I just stated mine is all.
>>
>> Feel free to call a vote when you see fit. It's all good.
>>
>> Gary

I see