logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Web Issues, Logging Levels, and GA
Date Sat, 18 Jan 2014 18:53:40 GMT
Ah, my view of VERBOSE is that it is _more_ information, hence INFO <
VERBOSE < DEBUG; while it sounds like Ralphs sees it as more DEBUG data.

For me DEBUG data is going to be already verbose, even more than 'verbose'.

What is interesting (to me) is that DEBUG is often misused based on this
basic mix: debug messages can be for users *and/or* for developers, there
is no distinction in the audience.

For example, as a user, I want to get data to help me debug my
configuration and my process. As a developer, I want to debug the code.
These can be two very different set of data.

But we do not have DEBUG_USER and DEBUG_DEV levels. I would see INFO next
to VERBOSE as useful to users. Then DEBUG and TRACE useful for developers.
Each app can have its convention of course, but it would be nice to have
the distinction available through levels for developers to use.

I see TRACE as method entry and exit type of logging, *very* *low* level
stuff.

We could also have both (ducking for projectiles):

INFO
VERBOSE
DEBUG
STEP