logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Williams <nicho...@nicholaswilliams.net>
Subject Web Issues, Logging Levels, and GA
Date Sat, 18 Jan 2014 04:50:31 GMT
Wanted to update y'all. As you know, I've been very absent lately due to the book consuming
every minute of my free time. I know I haven't been contributing my due, and for that please
accept my sincerest apologies. The book is finally done (goes on sale next month!) and I can
get back to regular life. I'm going to be out of town for the next week on a much-needed vacation
with very limited access to email. I'll be back the weekend of January 25-26, and that weekend
I will be spending almost the entire time finally dealing with the 8-10 web application-related
bugs. After that, I don't see any encumbrances to releasing 2.0.0.GA.

Except...

Logging Levels. We kinda-sorta talked about this a few months ago, and a few months before
that, and a few months before that, but we never actually DID anything about it. It's clear
by now that my "extendable enum" proposal (that would be a drop-in replacement for and binary
compatible with the current Level enum) is not going to be accepted. Absent any other proposals,
I suggest we add the following new levels before GA:

CONFIG - Between INFO and WARN, mapped to INFO for bridges to other frameworks that don't
have an equivalent level

FINE - Between DEBUG and TRACE, mapped to TRACE for bridges to other frameworks that don't
have an equivalent level

I'll let y'all chat about that over the next week. ;-)

Be back soon,

Nick