logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Line length
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2013 23:43:47 GMT
Yeah,  I bought a 26 inch monitor at Best Buy or Staples and use it as a second screen. It
cost me about $150.  Believe it or not, even with 120 characters I still have plenty of white
space off to the right.  But even on my MacBook Pro's 15 inch screen I still have no problem
with 120 characters.

I will admit that I am over 40 (well over) and use reading glasses to work on the computer,
so I have my screen size set to 1920 x 1200 on my laptop screen but 1920 x 1080 on my second
monitor.

I used to limit the line length to 80 but stopped doing that several years ago as the laptop
and monitor screens started supporting higher resolutions.

Ralph

On Aug 22, 2013, at 4:27 PM, Nick Williams wrote:

> I would be 100% against shortening the line length. 120 characters seems short enough
as it is. I use 140 characters for my personal work.

> What is your resolution? I have room for 140 characters in the IDE on both of my laptops.

> On Aug 22, 2013, at 6:22 PM, Remko Popma wrote:
>
>> I do most of my log4j work at home on my laptop. It has a decent screen, but not
huge. I often find myself having to horizontally scroll because the max line length is a lot
longer than what fits on my screen.

>> Does anyone else feel the same way? I would really like to make the max line length
shorter.

>> Personally I would prefer having 80-char lines, but if that is too short, would 100
characters as the max line length be acceptable?